Broadband

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
Geoff Simcox
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Broadband

Post by Geoff Simcox »

Hi All,

What is the latest re broadband speeds, etc. The last string dates back to 2013 and seems to identify that that there was no satisfactory solution then. Have things changed?

Geoff Simcox
njc0607
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Re: Broadband

Post by njc0607 »

hi Geoff..

4G is now in Portugal and the internet connection is fairly good. I get a consistent 20mbs download. and weirdly a 50mbs upload....
DVBRO
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by DVBRO »

Geoff, yes 4g is available, however the speed is attributable to where you are located and who is your provider.
I, over the past two years, have tried every provider and ended up with Nos. However, because I am 1 km away from Carvoeiro on top of a hill, with an Antenna on the Router, I can only get 6 mgb download.
Colleagues in Sesmarias, with a small Vodafone Router, get 20mgb download.
I used to get 30-40 mgb, but rumour has it that all the providers have reduced their download speeds, owing to the amount of tv viewing via the Internet.
Will be interesting to see what the speeds drop down when the 8.4 million visitors are here, as predicted!
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

Here on Monte servo we get a maximum of 6,5 Mbps although we pay for 12 ! This is often dropping when there are a lot of people on line, I am sure that most of Carvoeiro does not yet have fibre optics so it will be a poor speed until the fibre optic has been installed (if it ever does)I know in Sesmaris they have fibre optic & get a 30 to 50 Mbps speed which sounds heavenly ! I have noticed that there is a lot of work going on on the main road just before it splits into the one way & I have seen plastic pipework which could be fibre optic cables being laid? Does anybody know if it is ?
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

Currently using a vodafone mifi unit which is rated for 25mps but usually get 8-12 -which is fine for TV etc. There is also a more powerful "dongle only" which is meant for laptops/pc, this gives double these ratings.

I hope the cable is fibre optic, but I think its Meo extending their system.