exterior paint

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
shaz1967
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

exterior paint

Post by shaz1967 »

hello fellow members.
I am pondering on which brand of paint to use for my external garden wall & also where to buy it from? I have been told to use CIN & buy it from the CIN shop at Fatacil & also been told to use Roblec or Robolec as that is good paint & theres a place in Sesmaris that sells & also been told that Sulcav at Fatical sell good exterior paint.
I am a great believer of buying good paint & I always use Dulux or Crown back in the UK but I have little knowledge about the brands etc in Portugal & any advice will be really appreciated.
superbocker
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Re: exterior paint

Post by superbocker »

CIN is good paint. It is used on all external walls at Clube Golfemar. I use it on interior walls also. Easily equivalent to Dulux
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

I've got to do my external garden wall (100m long) and the back one by the pool - both are very large areas and the paint is going to cost a fortune buying Cin or Barbot. Ive done a calculation and it is going to be cheaper to buy Sandtex in UK - online - and ship direct to Algarve removals and they and ship it out to me.
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

hI maccasa, I was thinking of buying in the UK & shipping over as paint does seem very expensive over here, I was a bit dubious if the UK paint would stand up to the weather here but a pro painter/decorator stated on another forum that the good quality exterior paint from the UK will stand up to th job but good prep is very important.
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

Hi maccasa, I have also toyed with the idea of having paint shipped over due to the very high price of good quality paint over here. I was worried that the UK paint would not be up to the climate over here but a experienced painter told me that it will be ok as long as you buy a good quality paint & make sure that you do a good job of the prep work beforehand. I was also thinking of buying the paint from amazon & see if that was a cheaper option but that all hinges o if they will ship it to Portugal & the cost of shipping. It would be interesting to hear from any other form members if they have come across this problem & if they have imported paint in from the UK or Spain etc.
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

all I know is don't cut corners good paint is not a luxury it's a cost saver, don't skimp or experiment, it could cost you eventually, buy the best you can afford and follow the instructions. I've had a house in CVO for 30 years. 8)
bjay
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by bjay »

We've finished painting the inside of our 4 bed villa using paint from CIN,worked out at 85 euro for 15 litres and we used about 50 litres in total. The villa hadnt been painted in over 10 years. It only needed one coat.
Really easy to apply and a great finish, very wipeable.
I agree with Pato, don't cut on cost with the paint.
Great advice in CIN too, be prepared for a full on explanation of all the levels of quality of paint they sell.They seem to know their stuff,
Will do exterior next year and will definitely go back to CIN.
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

Just got a quote from SNOWCEM in UK after recommendations from my pal in scotland (he has a large holiday cottage on the west coast of Mull). It is a cement based powder which you mix 1:1 with water and 25kg bags cost ~£43. They suggested 12bags for my 400m2 of outside walls including the very large wall on the one side of our pool and side garden. Shipping was £120 to my door from their factory. So total is ~ £600. Just need a couple of trained Orang Utangs to do the job! :D
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

We use a British painter who swears by CIN, and says that the UK paints are not really formatted for thr hot weather out here during the summers.

CIN is expensive, but it definitely appears to be a case of 'You get what you pay for'
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

maccasa wrote:Just got a quote from SNOWCEM in UK after recommendations from my pal in scotland (he has a large holiday cottage on the west coast of Mull). It is a cement based powder which you mix 1:1 with water and 25kg bags cost ~£43. They suggested 12bags for my 400m2 of outside walls including the very large wall on the one side of our pool and side garden. Shipping was £120 to my door from their factory. So total is ~ £600. Just need a couple of trained Orang Utangs to do the job! :D
SNOWCEM?? we used to do our backyard walls and toilet with that when I was a kid. :shock: