Transporting a car UK to CVO

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
LICY
CVO Master
CVO Master

Transporting a car UK to CVO

Post by LICY »

As hubby is having a sabbatical we are hoping to bring his car out, however our outward trip is booked to go with the kids so no car. It would therefore mean flying back home to collect the car OR one way transport and staying put in CVO. Has anyone got any advise on transporting a car? Thanks
Farol
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: Transporting a car UK to CVO

Post by Farol »

You could consider a freight company but probably not economic. I'd write off his outbound ticket and suggest he drives down whilst the rest of the family fly.
roy4eyes
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by roy4eyes »

Enquire if anyone is coming out and has not yet got their tickets. Paying their crossing, fuel, motorway fees and one or two nights hotel would not be cheap but probably much less than on a transporter.
We could do this but not until early July.
If you want the car here for less than 3 months, it may be cheaper to SORN your car in U.K. and hire here.
LICY
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by LICY »

Farol wrote:You could consider a freight company but probably not economic. I'd write off his outbound ticket and suggest he drives down whilst the rest of the family fly.
He wouldn't want to do that as our young grandchildren are finally Coming out and only there for 6 days. I would'nt want hubby travelling all that way alone. :D :D
logicbob
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by logicbob »

I was talking with a chap some time ago that has a Tyre and new wheel company and he always ships a car down to Portugal as it is cheaper than renting, try contacting a specialized car transport company. Before you ask I do not personally know of one, but I am sure Yellow Pages will help.
LICY
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by LICY »

roy4eyes wrote:Enquire if anyone is coming out and has not yet got their tickets. Paying their crossing, fuel, motorway fees and one or two nights hotel would not be cheap but probably much less than on a transporter.
We could do this but not until early July.
If you want the car here for less than 3 months, it may be cheaper to SORN your car in U.K. and hire here.
Hubby only taxes the car in the summer months and loves to drive his little baby during that time in the UK. I did wonder if we needed the car UK road taxed in Portugal during his sabbatical or could we get the road tax before driving our baby back to Blighty. The best one way transporter is £900. Definitely more than driving over, BUT we would both need to hire a car before coming back to collect our yellow baby, plus return flights, so I guess it becomes a little more economical. We would make a holiday of it going home in March. Thanks for the offer, but we don't arrive until late September and have no where to store the car for 2.5 months. :D
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

Algarve removals quoted me £1000 to pick up my car from uk and take to CVO. I've got room for a little yellow number - it will be quite safe as I cant get in one to drive it - well I couldn't in my sons!
roy4eyes
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by roy4eyes »

I have tried several times to send you a PM on this but it is not accepted. Could you PM me so I can reply.

Roy
Polli62
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Polli62 »

Direct Transport situated in Porches Lagoa and Andover UK will bring cars over from UK https://directtransport.net/
njc0607
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by njc0607 »

there is a transport agent based in preston, Lancashire (Anchor Vehicle logistics) that would do it. they would even collect if required.
I dropped my car off at their depo and shipped to CVO it was £700+vat, which I can reclaim through my business..
they even shipped to my choice of location - which happened to be the racetrack.
perfect and great service.
although it can take upto 2 weeks to arrive depending on how many drops they have....
John Burgess
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by John Burgess »

What date do you require I drive over regular and could do it for you I am 57 so no boy racer just pay petrol + toles

John Burgess
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

njc0607 wrote:there is a transport agent based in preston, Lancashire (Anchor Vehicle logistics) that would do it. they would even collect if required.
I dropped my car off at their depo and shipped to CVO it was £700+vat, which I can reclaim through my business..
they even shipped to my choice of location - which happened to be the racetrack.
perfect and great service.
although it can take upto 2 weeks to arrive depending on how many drops they have....
Yellow Pages ? What's tha' :D