Transporting a car UK to CVO

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.

Moderators: e-richard, kteee, Gambrinus


Transporting a car UK to CVO

Postby LICY » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:08 am

As hubby is having a sabbatical we are hoping to bring his car out, however our outward trip is booked to go with the kids so no car. It would therefore mean flying back home to collect the car OR one way transport and staying put in CVO. Has anyone got any advise on transporting a car? Thanks
LICY
CVO Master
CVO Master
 
Posts: 1544
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 10:59 pm
Location: Surrey and Solferias

Re: Transporting a car UK to CVO

Postby Farol » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:26 am

You could consider a freight company but probably not economic. I'd write off his outbound ticket and suggest he drives down whilst the rest of the family fly.
Farol
CVO Master
CVO Master
 
Posts: 735
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:05 pm
Location: Essex & Ferragudo

Re: Transporting a car UK to CVO

Postby roy4eyes » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:30 am

Enquire if anyone is coming out and has not yet got their tickets. Paying their crossing, fuel, motorway fees and one or two nights hotel would not be cheap but probably much less than on a transporter.
We could do this but not until early July.
If you want the car here for less than 3 months, it may be cheaper to SORN your car in U.K. and hire here.
roy4eyes
CVO Master
CVO Master
 
Posts: 1306
Joined: Tue May 04, 2004 8:16 pm
Location: Carvoeiro

Re: Transporting a car UK to CVO

Postby LICY » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:36 pm

Farol wrote:You could consider a freight company but probably not economic. I'd write off his outbound ticket and suggest he drives down whilst the rest of the family fly.

He wouldn't want to do that as our young grandchildren are finally Coming out and only there for 6 days. I would'nt want hubby travelling all that way alone. :D :D
LICY
CVO Master
CVO Master
 
Posts: 1544
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 10:59 pm
Location: Surrey and Solferias

Re: Transporting a car UK to CVO

Postby logicbob » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:43 pm

I was talking with a chap some time ago that has a Tyre and new wheel company and he always ships a car down to Portugal as it is cheaper than renting, try contacting a specialized car transport company. Before you ask I do not personally know of one, but I am sure Yellow Pages will help.
logicbob
CVO Master
CVO Master
 
Posts: 1618
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:26 pm
Location: Hertfordshire / Vale De Milho

Re: Transporting a car UK to CVO

Postby LICY » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:45 pm

roy4eyes wrote:Enquire if anyone is coming out and has not yet got their tickets. Paying their crossing, fuel, motorway fees and one or two nights hotel would not be cheap but probably much less than on a transporter.
We could do this but not until early July.
If you want the car here for less than 3 months, it may be cheaper to SORN your car in U.K. and hire here.


Hubby only taxes the car in the summer months and loves to drive his little baby during that time in the UK. I did wonder if we needed the car UK road taxed in Portugal during his sabbatical or could we get the road tax before driving our baby back to Blighty. The best one way transporter is £900. Definitely more than driving over, BUT we would both need to hire a car before coming back to collect our yellow baby, plus return flights, so I guess it becomes a little more economical. We would make a holiday of it going home in March. Thanks for the offer, but we don't arrive until late September and have no where to store the car for 2.5 months. :D
LICY
CVO Master
CVO Master
 
Posts: 1544
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 10:59 pm
Location: Surrey and Solferias

Re: Transporting a car UK to CVO

Postby maccasa » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:13 am

Algarve removals quoted me £1000 to pick up my car from uk and take to CVO. I've got room for a little yellow number - it will be quite safe as I cant get in one to drive it - well I couldn't in my sons!
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend
 
Posts: 2601
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:13 pm
Location: Kidderminster uk + Solferias

Re: Transporting a car UK to CVO

Postby roy4eyes » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:34 am

I have tried several times to send you a PM on this but it is not accepted. Could you PM me so I can reply.

Roy
roy4eyes
CVO Master
CVO Master
 
Posts: 1306
Joined: Tue May 04, 2004 8:16 pm
Location: Carvoeiro

Re: Transporting a car UK to CVO

Postby Polli62 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:52 pm

Direct Transport situated in Porches Lagoa and Andover UK will bring cars over from UK https://directtransport.net/
Polli62
CVO Senior
CVO Senior
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:16 pm

Re: Transporting a car UK to CVO

Postby njc0607 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:06 pm

there is a transport agent based in preston, Lancashire (Anchor Vehicle logistics) that would do it. they would even collect if required.
I dropped my car off at their depo and shipped to CVO it was £700+vat, which I can reclaim through my business..
they even shipped to my choice of location - which happened to be the racetrack.
perfect and great service.
although it can take upto 2 weeks to arrive depending on how many drops they have....
njc0607
CVO Regular
CVO Regular
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:40 pm

Re: Transporting a car UK to CVO

Postby John Burgess » Wed May 10, 2017 8:52 pm

What date do you require I drive over regular and could do it for you I am 57 so no boy racer just pay petrol + toles

John Burgess
John Burgess
CVO Regular
CVO Regular
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:54 am
Location: Vale Centeanes

Re: Transporting a car UK to CVO

Postby pato » Thu May 11, 2017 1:52 pm

njc0607 wrote:there is a transport agent based in preston, Lancashire (Anchor Vehicle logistics) that would do it. they would even collect if required.
I dropped my car off at their depo and shipped to CVO it was £700+vat, which I can reclaim through my business..
they even shipped to my choice of location - which happened to be the racetrack.
perfect and great service.
although it can take upto 2 weeks to arrive depending on how many drops they have....
Yellow Pages ? What's tha' :D
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle
 
Posts: 9999
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:13 pm
Location: Wirral and ADM


Return to Property owners forum / Portugal living.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests