Internet Access/Changing Password

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
Gerry Cullen
CVO Master
CVO Master

Internet Access/Changing Password

Post by Gerry Cullen »

H,i been a long time since I have been here, hoping some one can help me with a problem. I have a villa in Armacao which I rent out for about 4 months of the year and I am wondering how I would supply internet to clients for just these few months. When I'm there myself I buy a sim card in the Vodafone shop in Algarve shopping. This fits into a little router and works grand but I only use it really to check E-mail and Netflix when I can get it. I don't want to spend a fortune and I don't want to supply something that the first client uses it up in two days. I also don't really understand how it all works so if any body is kind enough to advise me then think of me as a slow nine year old.
Also how do I change my password on this site?
Manny thanks,
Gerry Cullen.
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: Internet Access/Changing Password

Post by widge »

Hi Gerry,

Do you measure energy consumption or water consumption and charge clients on their usage?

If the answer is no then why bother trying to measure internet use which costs a fraction of the cost of the other two.

Better provide yourself and your clients with a good wifi internet service + IPTV channels and charge additional flat rate per week and withhold the pass key from those that don't pay.

I charge €20 a week which easily covers the cost of all the above.

Hope this helps, RJ Technica can provide the kit, installation and call out service if required.
Gerry Cullen
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Gerry Cullen »

Hi Widge,
Many thanks for the reply. in fairness if it was only going to cost me €20 a week I'd pick that up myself but would I have to pay for availability of WiFi for 52 weeks. I probably sound thick as hell but I really don'T know how even the basics of this works. If you have time perhaps you eould what I have to do and what I would have to pay for what your describing.

Many thanks,
Gerry.
Also how do I change my Password on this site please.
G
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

OK Gerry one thing at a time as you suggest.,,,,

From Board Index select User Control Panel

From User Control Panel Select Profile

From Profile select Edit Account Settings

Change Password is last option on this page.

As for the wifi thing its a BIG subject and I am not best qualified to advise but I pay €60 a month for unlimited very high speed internet, 350 + TV channels and free domestic local phone calls from Cabo Visao. This avoids the satellite TV thing, Sky box etc.
SJ & RE
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by SJ & RE »

Hi,

We are doing a long term rent here in Cabanas de Tavira and asked you CVO's for advice etc on all of this b4 I arrived here in December.

All advice was wonderful and helpful, so I suggest Gerry, you look up my post with all the answers which may help.

What I am doing as a renter in the apt is.
As we do not have a phone and internet contract as the landlord does not wish us to have one !!!

We use a dongle for all internet usage which is 60 Euros for 2 months - 60 days. Works well can do everything I wish online, download, watch my SKY GO, BBC hub etc,ITV CATCHUP stuff too, and have skype set up for UK free calls.

The tv has a small dish satellite thingy, no idea what it is tho and it has a number of UK channels.
I did not like the way it was set up so I contacted Trevtronics and he came and helped me, he lives in Tavira area, close to me.
Now we have BBC1,2,3,4,Parliament,News, CBBC,1 for Scotland/Ireland/Wales/London. Channel, ITV, 4, 5, Film 4 and a few others along with Radio 1,2,3,4,5.
So I am mega happy, more so as the tv in the bedroom was set up for the children to play games on it, we got it changed to watch the tv from with it all set up the same as in the sitting room. Now I can watch tv in bed.

So if you do not want to put a contract style thing in, this works well for 60 euros for 2 months and you can get the cards for 10 euros a day, so you can let the renters do it all themselves, no costs and worries for you.
Gerry Cullen
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Gerry Cullen »

Many thanks for help and advice, I'd forgotten how helpful people were on this site.

Gerry