WI Fi

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
Geoff Simcox
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

WI Fi

Post by Geoff Simcox »

Does anyone in Val d'el Rei have decent broadband? Information would be be very welcome, indeed.
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: WI Fi

Post by alf1956 »

Does anybody in Carvoeiro get good broadband never mind good Wi fi !
DVBRO
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by DVBRO »

Likewise in Areias dos Moinhos. I have tried every provider, useless!
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

Vodafone gets ~10 mps in carvoeiro using the old dongle - the new one gives well over 20. More than sufficient to give a good signal fr a firestick and e mails etc.
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

I have heard before that you can get decent Wi fi from a dongle but perhaps if you wanted to use it for weeks etc it would be expensive? I was meaning does anybody get a decent broadband signal through their phone line as in Carvoeiro it seems to be very poor.
DVBRO
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by DVBRO »

Nope! Meo gave me 1.8 download, but promised 6! Took it back, which caused a lot of problems.
Not one provider will allow you to see how much speed you can get with their equipment, prior to purchase
It appears that Vodafone have a small mobile Dongle/Router, with unlimited download which works well in Sesmarias, however they also have FO Cable ove there.
I currently use Nos Router with outside Antenna, which used to give me 40/50 download on 4g. However that has dropped to 5. Reason given, Atmospheric conditions, influx of Tourists and promises of new Masts for two years.
Not one provider will send an Engineer out to see the best option!
I can't believe that these suppliers will not do something for all the residents here in this area. Lisbon now is a different Story!!
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

alf1956 wrote:I have heard before that you can get decent Wi fi from a dongle but perhaps if you wanted to use it for weeks etc it would be expensive? I was meaning does anybody get a decent broadband signal through their phone line as in Carvoeiro it seems to be very poor.

Vodafone charge €25.99 per month for their dongle - everyone tells me it's 30Gb pm download limit, but according to my own reading I have used over 450 gb since jan and 880 since jan 2015, and never been cut-off

Hopefully I shall be fitting the new vodafone "75" mps unit to a tplink router and antennae - I've already tested this and can get 30mps all over the house using a bulit-in RJ45 system. Just a matter of sorting best positions and a wiring change in the RJ45 board.
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

Macassa please excuse my ignorance as I am not that tech savvy. What is a RJ45? Also how will you get the signal around the house?
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

RJ45 is the standard type of connector used for pc, laptops, wifi/broadband routers etc. a bit like a phone connector. Most modern places built in the last 10 yrs have a hard wired system of RJ45 cable into every main room with a multiple wall socket containing tv,wifi and telephone connections, these lead to a master wall panel which contains all the inputs for your external tv, wifi and phone in separate connectors: for wifi these are connected to a single input RJ45 which comes from your wifi/broadband router - the main Input. So you connect the main feed (from a NOS, MEO, Vodafone etc feed from outside cable) into this and you have a wifi connection wherever your RJ45 sockets are fitted. The problem is that a lot of ipad, mini computers dont have an RJ45 input - only wifi - so you need to put a small wifi router in each position to get a connection for these.

If you dont have cable fitted, you can use a mifi or wifi router such as the vodafone one, which gives a wifi signal round the house - problem is that the signals don't go through concrete walls and you really need a direct line of sight from the wifi unit. I normally carry my mifi around the house and position it in a place where we need to use the wifi.

Ideally with something like the vodafone laptop router, which is up to 75mps (pigs might fly) you find the place with the best signal and connect it into a unit such as a TP link router which takes the signal and gives an output to 2/3 Antennae and an RJ45. So you can have a wifi signal and also one which can be plugged into the input of your RJ45 main panel.