Elusa or EDP ?

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Elusa or EDP ?

Post by widge »

Does anyone have experience of switching electricity supplier ?

Is there any real competition in the market place and how do tariffs compare. My monthly bill from EDP has trebled in 10 years which outstrips the compound rate of inflation and imposition of IVA by some margin, any information positive or negative welcomed.
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: Elusa or EDP ?

Post by alf1956 »

I would also be very interested if anybody has done any comparisons between other suppliers & EDP as the market went open a while ago just to see if anybody has managed to wrestle the mantle from EDP.
joeysoap
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by joeysoap »

Regret can't to respond to either query but I do agree that EDP appear to be very expensive, I assume with the agreement of the energy regulator. About 6 years ago electricity in Ireland was more expensive than Portugal. My last invoice from EDP (yearly,in May) shows a price of .1587c a unit and there was was a small increase on this rate on 1st Jan. On my latest Irish invoice in October the rate is .1252c (both in euros). Vat on electricity in Portugal high at 23% (13% in Ireland) Portugal appears to be a high price energy country.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

It was a couple of years ago when the market first opened up and I got my accountant to run the numbers against all available suppliers.

We found an annual difference of approximately €8.00 between cheapest and most expensive.
Suspicious ?
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

€8 difference ? Smells of collusion to me !
RichardHenshall
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by RichardHenshall »

It is the same electricity supplied down the same cables so it would be logical for prices to be similar. That said, the simulator here suggests that for our consumption, Galp are both second cheapest (approx 4.5% less than our existing EDP deal) and the most expensive (approx 21% more). Then again other EDP simples tariffs are up to 16% higher cost than our current EDP bi-horário tariff. :?
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

RichardHenshall wrote:It is the same electricity supplied down the same cables so it would be logical for prices to be similar. That said, the simulator here suggests that for our consumption, Galp are both second cheapest (approx 4.5% less than our existing EDP deal) and the most expensive (approx 21% more). Then again other EDP simples tariffs are up to 16% higher cost than our current EDP bi-horário tariff. :?
The same thing happens in the UK with gas,electricity & telephone/broadband supplier who all use the same pipes, cable etc but the price comparison can be quite drastic