Buying and Storing a Car

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
Elfie
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Buying and Storing a Car

Post by Elfie »

My husband and I are considering buying a car in Portugal as we will (hopefully) be spending longer periods of time out there. Does anyone have any advice on either where to buy one or where to store it? We are hoping for possibly an ex-rental car and maybe somewhere that would have a store and airport pick up service as we know such places exist. Any help would be appreciated.
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: Buying and Storing a Car

Post by widge »

I've been spending about 12 to 15 weeks a year in the Algarve & still think it cheaper and more convenient to rent. Maybe if you spend 25 + weeks it starts to make sense. Car rental costs in the winter can be as little as €7 a day.
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

widge wrote:I've been spending about 12 to 15 weeks a year in the Algarve & still think it cheaper and more convenient to rent. Maybe if you spend 25 + weeks it starts to make sense. Car rental costs in the winter can be as little as €7 a day.
For an automatic? :o
jeremy
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by jeremy »

' fraid not Dave - seems Automatics work out at more like £12 per day during the winter :(

tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by tricky »

Blimey Jeremy. You are back!!
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

There is a used car lot on the N125 between Porches and Alcantrillia, on the left as you head toward Alcantrillia, next to the Ti Theresa restaurant.
That lot is owned by a car hire company, and they sell off their older than 2 year old hirecars, and at a decent price.
The extra spinoff is that if you buy a car there, they do a deal where for 250 euros a year, they will garage your car at the airport for as long as, and as often as you wish.

We bought a car there, and have found the parking deal good value, especially as we tend to leave our car there for 3 months in the summer, and a month at Christmas.
We are in Carvoeiro about 7-8 months a year, so hiring as, Widge suggested, ceases to be a viable option, and 250 euros to garage your car for nearly 4 months a year, is a good deal.
Elfie
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Elfie »

Thank you Bruce that is very helpful.