IKEA

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
SJ & RE
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: IKEA

Post by SJ & RE »

Friends went the day it opened and said tis ok, but not such a good selection of items that are in the UK and they do not deliver anything from the UK, which seems to be the same for most other companies now from the UK, no Argos etc.

Some of the companies use a 3rd party for delivery but the hike up charges on delivery are huge.
Not sure what the probs are, but it must be significant if most the big companies have pulled out of deliveries to Spain/Portugal which is a bit of a bugger.

I have just sorted out and indefinite rental here in Cabanas de Tavira and wanted to kit the whole place out with Argos/DFS/IKEA etc and lo and behold nada can do now. So a change in direction of what I want is required
Algarve Eagle
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Algarve Eagle »

I can recommend this company for shipments of furniture etc from the UK.

I have not used them recently, but the service was excellent and shipment costs not excessive.

https://www.algarveremovals.com/service ... g-service/
Farol
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Farol »

SJ & RE wrote:Friends went the day it opened and said tis ok, but not such a good selection of items that are in the UK and they do not deliver anything
I have been looking at their web site ikea.pt and for everything i have looked for they seem to offer the same range as uk. You can check stock online same as uk site, order online and collect in store or have it delivered. Have a look at the faqs.

Re your comments about argos they were recently taken over so that probably explains their change and i think dfs had a deal with Algarve Removals - they used to have an ad in the Portugal News.
tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by tricky »

I went last week and ordered some bedroom furniture (yes I had gone for a kitchen, but you know how it is in IKEA)
Loved the store and the restaurants and cafes, fantastic value as usual.
Its very big and you need to remember which side you have parked at.
The selection was great, however many of the larger items I required were not in stock.
The minimum charge for delivery to Carvoeiro was 29.95 euros and the maximum 100 euros.
To give an idea, I bought, two single beds, two mattresses, two side tables and a chest of drawers.
the delivery was 59.00 euros. However I had to pay for someone to collect them from the IKEA warehouse and take them to the delivery point
another 10 euros.
The delivery period time was about 4 days and they gave morning and afternoon slots.
SJ & RE
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by SJ & RE »

Thanks for the replies, all useful xx
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

LICY wrote:I look forward to their opening at the end of the month. Hoping we get there for our April visit so I can buy another shoe rack for my wardrobe. :D :D
Spend! spend! spend! eh! Licy, good job your better half is a banker. :roll:
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

I was going to buy a bed from them and decided to visit, however I checked online firstly and found that the items I wanted definitely werent in stock - I chat online and the advised I could order online and the delivery would be €29.99. As I knew the item I wanted as I already had one in Uk I therefore decided not to spend the time struggling there with the N125! When I eventually got to the actuall order and delivery, it wasnt coming from Loule but Lisbon and the delivery was €109 which made the basic €359 purchase price absolutely crazy. I couldnt even fetch it myself from Loule, so have to wait until it is in stock!
SJ & RE
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by SJ & RE »

Had 2 visits this weekend to IKEA purely for a deco.

Ended up returning and getting curtains, poles, attachments and a duvet set of duvet, pillow cases and a base sheet. Note, pillow cases are smaller than UK size, so looks weird with a UK sized pillow stuffed into it.

Liked IKEA, well spaced out, food halls with the different lunches great

Also visited Coforma in Olhao and found lots of things of a similar nature there and prices not dissimilar.

Spent a lot of money in my mind, however probably will do so in real terms, when I do a first shop next week in Coforma, before I return to the UK, and on my return do the big IKEA shopping in October and all the rest then.

All this just for a rental for me, however hope to be in this apartment for 2-5 yrs, maybe longer with a bit of luck.
Sorry not in CVO but in Cabanas de Tavira