Communications board with RJ45 connectors

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Communications board with RJ45 connectors

Post by maccasa »

Anyone savvy with these units? Ive got a board installed with 10 RJ45 plugs in it which seem to go to all bedrooms etc. Ive never used it but now have a TP link wifi modem with Vodafone K5150 connect pen (€9.90 from Phone shop) which is capable of 70+ mps on 4G. (Despite the vodafone "expert" saying you cant use it in PT due to "firmware" differences), I connected it last week and got nearly 30mps in my lounge and 20+ at the top of the stairs. The existing mifi + repeater gets 8-10 at best.

However I still have the problem of concrete walls/line of sight and a poor repeater unit so despite changing sites all over the house I still cant get a good signal everywhere at the same time.

I can obviously get a couple of better repeaters from UK when I'm back, but the RJ45 communications board seems a good option if I can figure out how it works - anybody know anything about them - do they work just as a simple router? can I connect my Modem into one socket and get it distributed to all the other sockets?
logicbob
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: Communications board with RJ45 connectors

Post by logicbob »

maccasa wrote:Anyone savvy with these units? Ive got a board installed with 10 RJ45 plugs in it which seem to go to all bedrooms etc. Ive never used it but now have a TP link wifi modem with Vodafone K5150 connect pen (€9.90 from Phone shop) which is capable of 70+ mps on 4G. (Despite the vodafone "expert" saying you cant use it in PT due to "firmware" differences), I connected it last week and got nearly 30mps in my lounge and 20+ at the top of the stairs. The existing mifi + repeater gets 8-10 at best.

However I still have the problem of concrete walls/line of sight and a poor repeater unit so despite changing sites all over the house I still cant get a good signal everywhere at the same time.

I can obviously get a couple of better repeaters from UK when I'm back, but the RJ45 communications board seems a good option if I can figure out how it works - anybody know anything about them - do they work just as a simple router? can I connect my Modem into one socket and get it distributed to all the other sockets?
If it is anything like the ones I used for temporary hire situations then you should have one input and lots of outputs. Take a feed from your Modem/Router plug it in and away you go.
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

I had hoped it was as simple as that - will see later today. thanks
logicbob
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by logicbob »

maccasa wrote:I had hoped it was as simple as that - will see later today. thanks

Let us know how it works out for you.
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

Yep that works ok - now just got to get some longer cables from home (got loads of 10+ m ones) and decide where I am going to site the new router also what to do at the RJ45 outlets to give wifi - its ok for my PC laptop and as can use RJ45, but the two tV firesticks are going to need wifi. Some thought when i go back to uk

Thanks yr advice
RichardHenshall
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by RichardHenshall »

In theory you could site your router at any of the RJ45 'outlets' using it as an input, if any are convenient to where you get a good signal. It may be necessary to switch connections around at your distribution board to make this work.

I use a surplus router as a wireless access point at my TV (providing multiple ethernet connections (for TV, Raspberry Pi & Satellite box) and local WiFi (for phones, tablets, Now TV box etc)). Instead of plugging the ADSL cable into a 'phone' socket, I have an ethernet cable between one of the (typically 4) RJ45 connectors of the router and the wall outlet. This access point's SSID etc can be identical to your main router, or different - whichever you prefer - and you may gain the ability to tweak DNS or VPN settings that aren't available on you main router.