Amazon Fire stick

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
DaveK
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Amazon Fire stick

Post by DaveK »

Hi. Has anyone had experience of using Amazon Fire TV stick in Portugal please? Could be useful on television in the bedrooms where we do not have IPTV. Thanks.
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: Amazon Fire stick

Post by maccasa »

yes had one for several months - also got an MBX box. Both work well but you need at least 5 Mbps from your wifi/mifi/router etc. I use a vodafone mifi and it gives me min 5 and up to 10. Also found a small repeater box (£9 off e bay) assists with these concrete walls. Main Mifi on upstairs landing, repeater in main lounge.

The Mbox gives more remote control over the system, with a remote mouse and keyboard. The firestick is somewhat limited and the lack of an easy keyboard makes addition of essential apps a bit awkward.

On both systems the addition of Kodi and then pulse (ccm or Lite) gives access to everything you can ever need
DaveK
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by DaveK »

Thanks maccasa. We are coming over tomorrow so no time now to do more. Will see how it goes and take it from there. We are on Meo cable which gives good speed so that should not be a problem.
Philip Baker
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Philip Baker »

I have just ordered a fire stick but is fully loaded with Kodi apparently this will give most channels including sky. Only £55 if it works here's the link to ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311635924601
Farol
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Farol »

Am I missing something here? Surely this will not work with Sky unless you mask your location as with any other on-line access.
Philip Baker
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Philip Baker »

Hi Yes of course you have to hide your ip use "hide my aare"
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

You dont need to mask your ip address - just plug it in and set up to your mifi/router. Dont know where you got £55 for a firestick - £32.95 off amazon and load Kodi etc yourself - it's easy. You still have to add pulse or the beast or something similar for the other add-ons such as sky sports - the UK Turks app is v good.

The Mbox starts at around £24 on e bay but make sure you buy a unit with android 5.1 NOT 4.4 Kitkat and preferably at least an S805 model - I got one for 25.95 loaded with Kodi and it was simple to add Pulse ccm.
Philip Baker
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Philip Baker »

No bright enough to load the stick myself so bought it loaded. Got is Saturday tried to set it up but obviously doing something wrong. Will get my son to come around and humiliate me by saying "What dose is say on the screen? well hit that" as per usual.
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

Setting up your router/mifi to speak to the unit is usually the first problem - go to settings and ensure the connection is made.
pointersister
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by pointersister »

Tried to use the Firestick with Vodafone PT. it wouldn't work but it did work with our UK Vodafone portable wifi, which had limited Gb and is expensive! Bought 7 days unlimited for €10 but it won't work. Any ideas Macassar?
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

I have a vodafone portable mifi - old type which gives around 8-10mps in Carvoiero. I also have the latest &%mps unit but its more complicated to use as it is specifically for laptops - you have to use a separate Router such as a TP link and this then generates a normal wifi signal.

I can get all the apps on my firestick and my mbox using Kodi + Pulse. Note pulse has now changed and you get SkyQ - not the tv version - which is a mix of Titan/pulse/+ apps to give all the apps you will ever need. All films from 1950's onwards to 2016 on Specto and Exodus, All sports Sky, BT etc on Sports devil, Phoenix etc, all UK terrestial using Castaway + Filmon.

If you use a vodafone uk dongle it will burn your data at an alarming rate. I had absolutely no problems with Vodafone PT - have you set up your firestick to use the password of the PT unit? go to settings, wifi or internet, then search for wifi signals. You need to input the password for your new dongle.

If you need any help I am out there 2nd Jan