Monte Dourado or Rocha Brava

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
dajambo
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Monte Dourado or Rocha Brava

Post by dajambo »

Hi all, we are thinking about buying a property in or around Carvoeiro in the next 6 to 12 months and both the Monte Dourado and Rocha Brava have captured our attention, that being said i was wondering if anyone on here currently own or previously owned a property on either of these resort and would be willing to share there experience?

Thanks
dj
Mike Banks
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: Monte Dourado or Rocha Brava

Post by Mike Banks »

We've have had a property on Rocha Brava for 13 years now and I can highly recommend the location and the management company.
I have no experience of Monte Dourado.
A lot depends on whether you want to be in the middle of town, or prefer to be somewhere a little quieter, but nevertheless easily accessible.
There are many good restaurants around Rocha Brava, and Centiannes beach is only a short walk away.
madaboutangling
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by madaboutangling »

Have had two quarter shares in RB for four years now and it is excellent. Now run by Holiday Property Bond, it's really well maintained and designed. The walkable local beach is superb. Local restuarants good. Only a fiver taxi ride from the town.
dajambo
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by dajambo »

thanks for taking the time to post your comments much appreciated. anyone for monte dourado out there? :)
cereza
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by cereza »

I have no knowledge of Monte Dourado but I did own a property on RB and still go there to my friend's places. I can only give RB the highest recommendation and it is an ideal place for a first purchase in the Algarve
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

I am an owner at MD, and I play tennis frequently at the club at RB, so I have come to know many owners at both resorts.

All owners (that I have met) at both resorts are extremely satisfied and are each strictly loyal to their choice (cannot understand why anyone buys elsewhere :) )
Both resorts have management and staff that care and look after the resort very well, and are approachable. They also look after our guests exceptionally well if you rent out.

The key difference for me comes out when you choose to rent to holidaymakers.
Both resorts are highly sought after and very easy to rent and will fill up every year to cover your running costs.
Both managements will do all the work for you, find the guests, organise payments, check in cleaning, maintenance etc and, of course they will take their (hefty) cut.
The principle difference may come if you want to do your own rentals (as I do) dealing directly with guests and managing emails, bookings, payments etc. with the local management doing all the cleaning and maintenance. RB will not allow you to do this; you must do all rentals via them. Most owners at RB that I spoke to are very happy with this arrangement; a very small number are not. Nearly all the owners at MD that I know do most of their rentals through the management, but can do some themselves as well. RB take a fixed % of the rental; MD will take a cut of rentals that they organise and charge you by the yard for all other services. If you do all your rentals through the management, there is not much to choose between these two models.

So, the choice is really yours to make based on your feelings for the actual property accommodation, the location (in town/out of town) and rental requirements.
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

Problem with MD is it's an uphill site and is not suitable for the older client, when I say Hill I mean mountain, great location but non accessible if you're a wrinkly. :(
Cadenza
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Cadenza »

I don't have inside knowledge of either site, but did look at an apartment on MD which was lovely, but condo fees for the year were high. It is on a steep hill but it is in the town centre. RB is close to Centeanes, but is a bit of a trek to town centre. What about looking at Quinta do Paraiso on the other side. It's where I have my place and I love it. It has just been taken over by Carvoeiro Clube and having some major refurbishment done. This year they have upgraded the bar area and heated one of the pools. I think it could be good for future investment and walking into the town is easy.
snowbirds
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by snowbirds »

Carvoeiro Clube have been managing Monte Dourado for quite a few years where they have also made a number of improvements. However, under their management the condominium fees increased significantly, which will likely also happen with Quinta do Paraiso in the not too distant future. Major refurbishment costs can only be recouped by way of charging owners higher condo and/or administration fees.
fmm
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by fmm »

There are other options, you know! If I were you, I would not limit myself to those two resorts. If you do, then my personal preference is Rocha Brava as I play tennis, and the little club there is lovely. However, it is run separately so you have to pay to use it ...

But you may find that living on a resort that is 90% or more holiday makers is not what you want :)