solar powered pool pump

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
shaz1967
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

solar powered pool pump

Post by shaz1967 »

Hello fellow members
I have been doing some research regarding solar powered pool pumps but I cannot seem to find much information or many people who have had one fitted. I do find it strange that they are not more readily available due to the high amount of sun we have in the Algarve & also the high cost of electricity combined with the average 12 hours per day that the pump has to run to filter the water adequately. Can anybody enlighten me as to if they have had a solar pump system fitted or the reasons why they don't seem to be more available at a reasonable cost?
Philip Baker
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Re: solar powered pool pump

Post by Philip Baker »

Hi There
I am not out there yet but will be soon I too don't understand why there aren't more solar generator used on Villas. I want to install a system to generate all my electric needs and sell back the surplus I have found a company who quoted roughly £12 for a system his email is
alanjones@technoloje.com Not sure where he is or if it what you are looking for But to me it makes sense rather than just heating for hot water.
Good luck
roy4eyes
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by roy4eyes »

Get a coil of hose (black is best) and either connect it in to your pump system or, more easily, dribble it directly into the pool to replace water lost by evaporation and you have a solar system for less than € 5.
We use this also for a hot shower after leaving the pool and today it was scorching hot after going through only 20m. of hose.
shaz1967
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by shaz1967 »

Philip Baker wrote:Hi There
I am not out there yet but will be soon I too don't understand why there aren't more solar generator used on Villas. I want to install a system to generate all my electric needs and sell back the surplus I have found a company who quoted roughly £12 for a system his email is
alanjones@technoloje.com Not sure where he is or if it what you are looking for But to me it makes sense rather than just heating for hot water.
Good luck
Hi Phil, thanks for the reply, you state that Alan Jones quoted a system for £12 ? I am presuming that £12 was a typing error ?
Philip Baker
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Philip Baker »

Yes should have been 12K slip of the finger
saint
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by saint »

the back rate of your kw/hr produced by solar p.v. makes such a system (domestic) not economically viable.
Talk with Kenneth of shs solar for good advice. 932650496 or www.shs-solar.com or take a look see on facebook shs solar liz
It is possible to connect batteries to a suitable installation which could serve through the evening.
saint
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by saint »

sorry,that should have said.... buy back rate
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

I find 12k to be very expensive as we have had a complete 12 solar panel system fitted here in the Uk for 6k. I do take on board that prices in Portugal are more than the Uk but not double.
Philip Baker
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Philip Baker »

I think I need another quote. Do you sell back to the Electricity board in England ? If so surly the PT version with much more sun should be better.
I love the idea of the black hose, always avoided the outdoor shower as it was freezing.
Sheila
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Sheila »

Philip Baker wrote:I think I need another quote. Do you sell back to the Electricity board in England ? If so surly the PT version with much more sun should be better.
I love the idea of the black hose, always avoided the outdoor shower as it was freezing.
In PT they restrict the amount of electricity they will buy back from you. And they charge you I think 300 euros to put a stop on your meter to prevent you exporting more. Or so I was told.
saint
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by saint »

12k sounds very high,depending on what you were actually quoted for.
In Portugal they allow you to install upto 6 panels (1.5kw/hr) before the need to register.this system is called "U-PAC" and just feeds into your supply reducing your
consumption from the EDP.
The cost of 6 panels is approx €3,000
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

As you have to circulate water in the pool to filter it, the only difference is a pump which would cater for solar powered mats on yr roof would be slightly larger. A set of solar mats would cost you less than 5K depending on pool size, but I certainly cant see how you are going to recoup 12k with a (presumed) solar panel system.
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

Philip Baker wrote:I think I need another quote. Do you sell back to the Electricity board in England ? If so surly the PT version with much more sun should be better.
Yes we sell back the electricity we generate back to the energy company at 17p per unit.
jonc
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by jonc »

We had a solar pool pump installed almost a year ago.

The system is German, made by Lorentz. There are two sizes and ours is the largest for our ~12x6m pool which is a PS1800 and uses four solar panels. Our system was installed by SACL and has been 100% reliable. They plumbed it side-by-side with our existing mains pump as a backup but this has never been used since. It is here on the Lorentz site: https://www.lorentz.de/en/products/sola ... pumps.html and ours is the Portugal install on their examples.

One more point - this system is not grid-tied. It is independent of the mains electricity and uses its own controller to drive its own high-efficiency pump.

Jonathan.
John Burgess
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by John Burgess »

Jontheran

Sounds good how long is pay back time ? and how much did it cost ? if you could Pm me if you do not want to discuss money

Thank you
John Burgess