Residence Permit

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
Rampage
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Residence Permit

Post by Rampage »

Hi All

We shall finally arrive Portugal on a permanent basis on 30th April. I am advised by our freight forwarding company that Portuguese customs require Residence Certificates issued by the Junta de Freguesia in Lagoa. Does anyone know if this can be achieved DIY or should a lawyer be used to assist?

Cheers
Jaylay
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: Residence Permit

Post by Jaylay »

You can do it yourself, friend did it last week.
bookbabe
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by bookbabe »

Presumably you are moving here lock stock and barrel. Are you bringing all your possessions including furniture etc. Why do you need this documentation? We moved here 10 years ago and unless things have changed dramatically we did not need to do this.
steve
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by steve »

If you take up permanent residence here you are legally required to obtain a residencia and this was the position 10 years ago also. When I came out here you had to go to what is now the SEF having obtained various certificates from different authorities and it was a bit of a nightmare but now the initial residencia is issued by the local Junta and it is very straightforward.
Rampage
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Rampage »

Thanks Jaylay & Steve for the information. I'm not sure how different it is to moving from elsewhere in the EC countries but it seems very complex from Malaysia. We also have to arrange a Baggage Certificate from the nearest Portuguese embassy (in our case Bangkok) and they are very slow at issuing these. However the certificate is essential if we want to avoid being hammered by Portuguese Customs.
Jaylay
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Jaylay »

We had to do similar 27 years ago, coming from Cyprus pre their being in th EU. Does take a fair bit of time.
Rampage
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Rampage »

Hi Jaylay - can you remember the documentation that we should take? I know passpors & fiscal numbers but is there anything else?