Santex Paint?

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
piglet
CVO Master
CVO Master

Santex Paint?

Post by piglet »

Hi Guys and Gals... long time no speak! I am looking for Santex exterior paint. Any ideas where we can buy in the Algarve, please?

Please don't suggest Portuguese alternatives... they are not as good.
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: Santex Paint?

Post by alf1956 »

Try Quality paints in Lagos I'm sure they will have everything you require.

R. Brito Camacho 36C, 8600-534 Lagos, Portugal
Phone:+351 919 867 917
shaz1967
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by shaz1967 »

If you put exterior paint in the search tab you will get quite a few posts about the plus & minus of various paints etc. Also you will probably be able to contact various members of the forum who have had their properties painted either by themselves or by tradesmen & this will give you a good insight about things.
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

shazza 67 I was just going to say exactly the same thing as there seems to be quite a lot of differing opinions on this site &various other ex-pat sites about the various paints to use & whether to buy from Portugal or the UK. It would be interesting to hear from anybody who has recently painted a property to get an idea of costs & if they did it themselves or employed contractors to do it & also from anybody who has painted their property a few years ago to get a understanding of what paint they used & how it has performed etc.
Farol
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Farol »

I don't recall ever having seen Sandtex for sale in Portugal. If you are totally set against local paint (which is designed for the local climate) then you probably need to speak to some of the freight companies to see whether they are willing/allowed to carry paints and if so how much they would charge to deliver from the U.K.

Good local paint is very good but cheap local paint is rubbish. However for the good paint to last the walls need to be well prepared. It's the old saying: "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail".
roy4eyes
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by roy4eyes »

There is a paint shop on the right just before Algarve Shopping - the turn off for MaxMart and then continue parallel to the main road - which sells U.K. paint such as Dulux and I am sure I have seen the Sandtex range in there. The Dulux prices, albeit 3 years ago, seemed to be much the same as U.K. prices.
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

Farol wrote:I don't recall ever having seen Sandtex for sale in Portugal. If you are totally set against local paint (which is designed for the local climate) then you probably need to speak to some of the freight companies to see whether they are willing/allowed to carry paints and if so how much they would charge to deliver from the U.K.

Good local paint is very good but cheap local paint is rubbish. However for the good paint to last the walls need to be well prepared. It's the old saying: "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail".
I agree with you Farol as the good local paint will have all the UV resistant specification where as a UK paint will probably not have the same as we never get the same amount of strong sunlight in the UK that the Algarve gets. Quality paints in Lagos sell all brands including Sandtex, Dulux etc
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

The place on the Fatacil Ind estate (can't think of their name) seem to be excellent, speak Good English and have good products, give them a go. :D
pointersister
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by pointersister »

It is called Cin and very good. Paint is very good quality too. They don't sell Sandtex though.
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

pointersister wrote:It is called Cin and very good. Paint is very good quality too. They don't sell Sandtex though.
Hi Girls, keeping well ? :D
piglet
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by piglet »

To round off this discussion I've discovered you can buy Santex paint from Bebbingtons in Lagos. Have tried the best quality Portuguese paint and it doesn't last. i thought I'd made it clear I did not want a discussion just a place to buy the paint I was looking for. :)

Thanks for your input and apologies to the newer members for not using the search option correctly.
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

piglet wrote:To round off this discussion I've discovered you can buy Santex paint from Bebbingtons in Lagos. Have tried the best quality Portuguese paint and it doesn't last. i thought I'd made it clear I did not want a discussion just a place to buy the paint I was looking for. :)

0Thanks for your input and apologies to the newer members for not using the search option correctly.
Who said you could round it off? Anyway I dispute your accusation that "the best quality Portuguese paint doesn't last" I've had a place there for nearly 40 years and the least of my worries was the paint quality, granted other things such as loungers, sunshades, agents, legislation and neighbours don't but paint does. :D