ref fiscal rep

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

ref fiscal rep

Post by maccasa »

Sorry members - we have discussed this before but I cant find the reference. I understand it is no longer necessary to have a portuguese based fiscal???? I recall you can now get the rates bill sent to uk (by e mail) and not use a fiscal rep - is this correct and if so how do you go about it - presumably a visit to the Financas in Lagoa?
pointersister
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Re: ref fiscal rep

Post by pointersister »

Yes Macassa
Call into the office in Lagoa bring bills from Portugal, your fiscal number and your passport. Take a number for the queue, sit and relax, then up you go to the desk and explain that you want the bill sent to the UK, give them your address and Bob's your uncle. We have been doing it now for at least 2 years and saving ourselves a fair bit of dosh. You can then pay the bill online via your euro account. Good luck with it.
joeysoap
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by joeysoap »

maccasa wrote:Sorry members - we have discussed this before but I cant find the reference. I understand it is no longer necessary to have a portuguese based fiscal???? I recall you can now get the rates bill sent to uk (by e mail) and not use a fiscal rep - is this correct and if so how do you go about it - presumably a visit to the Financas in Lagoa?

Pointersister is correct, no need for FR for the past 2/3 years. Don't think they will email you the bill though, they send it by post. Depending on the amount you might have to pay it in one go in April, In two instalments (April and November) or if it is over a certain amount in 3 instalements. Pointersister is right on the money too about paying it from home using your Portuguse bank account. (or it you are in Portugal after you receive the invoice you can just pay it at any MB machine).
RichardHenshall
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by RichardHenshall »

joeysoap wrote:... Don't think they will email you the bill though, they send it by post. ...
If you sign up for Notificações Electrónicas (there is a link on the Portal das Finanças) you will be sent IMI demands through ViaCTT. We do not receive a copy by post.

Perversely, it doesn't seem that this service extends to IRS demands. This year our IRS demand was sent recorded delivery from one Finanças address to another in Lisboa, where it disappeared. We received no demand by post or email. Fortunately the details required are available on the Portal if you know when and where to look.
joeysoap
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by joeysoap »

Thanks for that Richard, good to know. I will see if I can sign up to that. I can usually access the IMI invoices on that portal alright. This year I paid the 2nd instalment in advance by getting the details off the Financas website, paid it from home using My Portuguese bank, checked back a few days later and was on the Financas site as paid. Didn't receive the 2nd invoice as a result. But the email would be even better.
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

Thanks folks - will go at the start of Jan - get the year off right!
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

Went and did it - easy job. Now to get the e mail system sorted!
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

Help again please - I am now trying to get the e mail notifications sorted - got a problem on the "notificacoes Electronica" page. It asks for "morada Fiscal" which I assume is the fiscal address of my house - tried several entries of address and area but cant get it to accept anything - anyone got the answer? Joeysoap as you've done it?
RichardHenshall
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

I can't see the Notificações Electrónicas page that's causing you trouble because I'm already registered, so I'm guessing ...

When I first signed up for the Portal das Finanças we still had a Fiscal Rep. and we had to give her address, not the address of the property. I would expect that you should be giving your home (ie UK) address, assuming you're non-resident.

You can see what the Finanças think your address looks like at https://www.portaldasfinancas.gov.pt/pt ... sGerais.do and you may find it a little odd!

My entire address including postcode is shown on the Av. / Rua line except for the country as below:

Domicílio Fiscal
Av. / Rua X XXXXXXXXXX XXXXX - XXXXXXXXXX XXXX - XXXXXXX XXX XXX
Localidade IRLANDA DO NORTE
Código Postal
Distrito LISBOA
Concelho LISBOA
Freguesia SANTA MARIA MAIOR
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

Hehe - I need to register to get onto that site and I need to put in my address to register!!! going round in circles! however have now discovered that it is the address held by the financas that is required, so I have to use the one on my water bills! shame they are in Portugal :D :D oh well back out in 4 weeks so wait till then!
RichardHenshall
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

I thought you had unappointed your Fiscal Rep. and therefore, unless you have indicated that you are a Portuguese resident by giving them an address for you in Portugal, you are now known to the Finanças as a UK resident?
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

I thought that at first but that didn't work either - perhaps I'm just being a bit quick and it needs a little time for the Portuguese cogs to churn!
joeysoap
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by joeysoap »

maccasa wrote:Help again please - I am now trying to get the e mail notifications sorted - got a problem on the "notificacoes Electronica" page. It asks for "morada Fiscal" which I assume is the fiscal address of my house - tried several entries of address and area but cant get it to accept anything - anyone got the answer? Joeysoap as you've done it?

Sorry Mac, haven't signed up for electronic bills. I get a paper bill to Ireland. Last 2 years the 2nd instalment was due in November, and I am not out in November, so I logged onto the finances website and got the details of the 2nd payment there, and just used that to pay the bill the bill through my Portuguese bank without leaving home. Just had a quick look at Financas website now and it looks like it has changed since last year, so I am a bit lost now, but the invoices will come by post anyway.

If UK votes to leave the EU could Portugal insist on a fiscal rep for non resident UK citizens once again? It was the EU who informed the Portuguese that if Portuguese residents didn't require a fiscal rep, they could not discriminate against other EU citizens. Afaik non EU residents still have to have a fiscal rep.
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

As of yesterday I got the address to be accepted - the uk one - so was able to register on the financas site - got the password number from them and then proceeded - Ah - doesn't accept the password number they gave me :( :( I'll wait until feb visit. :roll:
RichardHenshall
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

I think you will find that the activation password (Senha de Identificação) will be sent by post to your fiscal address (UK). Mine (in 2010) had 12 alpha-numeric characters but the letter also quoted a 9-digit Referência (which is probably what you've got now).

I believe that the password is only valid for some days/weeks, so use it when you get it or you'll have to start again!