Renting : Social Security Payments

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: Renting : Social Security Payments

Post by Geoff »

I am still sitting on my hands and - hopefully - under the radar.
My understanding is that the Portuguese authorities will levy Social Security from 1 Jan 2016 to everyone who pays Portuguese Income Tax on property income UNLESS they can produce this A1.

So, not sure that hand-sitting is an option?
Alison
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Alison »

Hmmm - our advisors Tax Angels have been hassling us about this A1 form all year. Like many others, I don't fit into any of their categories as I'm not retired and I don't pay any NI contributions in the UK so can't provide any of the following:

1. If Retired - pension statement;
2. If Employed – declaration confirming the payments made to social security in your home country (UK, Ireland, etc.);
3. If Self-employed – accountant declaration confirming yearly payment are being made to social security in your home country (UK, Ireland, etc.).

We went round in circles with letters to HMRC earlier this year with no resolution to this. We finally got through to a very helpful guy at HMRC a couple of weeks ago who, having access to my UK tax return records, over the phone changed my UK status to self employed for the small bit of teaching that I still do (but not enough to pay tax on), agreed that I don't need to pay additional Class 2 NI payments as income too low and then gave me a fax number to send the completed CA8421 form to, suggesting I ask them to treat it as a matter of urgency - their normal processing time is quoted as 3 months! We got the A1 certificate back within a week which I reckon was pretty good going. Have now given this to Tax Angels and hope that they know what to do with it and that this is the end of the matter - maybe wishful thinking?!
PTBUXTON
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by PTBUXTON »

Rang the revenue a couple of weeks ago you require an A1 Form,to get this you need first apply for a CA8421I, current waiting period once the revenue are in receipt of said form CA8421I is (get this is 78 days) not 7/8 days 78 days.Now I bet that surprised you not.
PTBUXTON
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by PTBUXTON »

PTBUXTON wrote:Rang the revenue a couple of weeks ago you require an A1 Form,to get this you need first apply for a CA8421I, current waiting period once the revenue are in receipt of said form CA8421I is (get this is 78 days) not 7/8 days 78 days.Now I bet that surprised you not.
Sorry everyone just noticed the previous entry
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

current waiting period once the revenue are in receipt of said form CA8421I is (get this is 78 days)
I got a reply in "only 42 days"...only trouble is, they say I don't work in the UK....which is true....but if the Portuguese think I am (self) employed renting out the house there, perhaps I can persuade the HMRC that I am self-employed in the UK doing the same?

But if so, am I liable to pay Class 2 NI payments if retired and, are these more expensive than the Portuguese Social Security?
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

Geoff wrote:
current waiting period once the revenue are in receipt of said form CA8421I is (get this is 78 days)
But if so, am I liable to pay Class 2 NI payments if retired and, are these more expensive than the Portuguese Social Security?
That's exactly the point I entered the discussion with, so still sitting tight !
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

An update...the accountants came up with lots of Portuguese forms to sign, but after about 4 months the Lisbon Tax/Social Security say that these forms ( plus various UK tax forms saying we don't need to pay NI) aren't good enough and you need an A1 if working or a P1 if a pensioner.

I located a reference to this :

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/wo ... ex_en.htm#

But can't see how to get the form....anyone had any success?
logicbob
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by logicbob »

Geoff, the P1 is the form that you received when you retired stating how much they were going to pay you, so I am reliably informed.

The A1 have no idea.
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

Geoff, the P1 is the form that you received when you retired stating how much they were going to pay you, so I am reliably informed.

The A1 have no idea.
Thanks logicbob, I will have to rummage in my files when I get home.

The A1 is the form that could prove you pay UK NI if you are working in the UK.....there's a link above here on how to apply for one.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Geoff wrote:...you need an A1 if working or a P1 if a pensioner.

Thanks, that is very helpful Geoff.

But has anyone worked out how to acquire a form P1 from the UK DWP ?
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

Well, if Logicbob is correct, it will be sitting in my file when i get back.....but if you look at the Dept of Work & Pensions website, there's an email enquiry form you can send to your Pensions Office ( post code dependent) ...I had already done this yesterday and asked for a P1.

Not holding my breath, but will update with any news.
logicbob
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by logicbob »

e-richard wrote:
Geoff wrote:...you need an A1 if working or a P1 if a pensioner.

Thanks, that is very helpful Geoff.

Richard, as far as know there is no such form as a P1, I tried every department in the UK government and could not get anyone to tell me what it was. They just keep passing you on to the next department. The form that has been accepted in Portugal is the one that you receive when you retire advising you of your pension payments which is Form BR 2198.
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

The form that has been accepted in Portugal is the one that you receive when you retire advising you of your pension payments which is Form BR 2198.
Well, I'm back in the UK and have found my BR2198.

It doesn't look vastly different from the annual BR5899 you get from the DWP saying what the amount is for the coming year, but if you tink the BR2198 might work.......

No news from DWP on a P1....
logicbob
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by logicbob »

Geoff wrote:
The form that has been accepted in Portugal is the one that you receive when you retire advising you of your pension payments which is Form BR 2198.
Well, I'm back in the UK and have found my BR2198.

It doesn't look vastly different from the annual BR5899 you get from the DWP saying what the amount is for the coming year, but if you tink the BR2198 might work.......

No news from DWP on a P1....

Geoff, you are correct I have just checked mine and the form BR 2198 is the first form and all subsequent forms are BR 5899. All I can say is that it has been accepted up to now but this is Portugal we are talking about so good luck. Let us know how you get on.
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

All I can say is that it has been accepted up to now but this is Portugal we are talking about so good luck. Let us know how you get on.
Thanks....but the current year's BR5899 along with the current HMRC Tax code form ( saying NI not applicable) didn't work, so am not holdinmg my breath!

Worst case scenario, how much is the Portuguese Social Security payment, anyone know please?