Renting : Social Security Payments

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: Renting : Social Security Payments

Post by Geoff »

An update, of sorts!

I eventually heard back from the DWP about my email asking for a P1...they sent a form ,but....it's an IPC 147 12/13 which is merely a Statement of Benefit Payments Made.

I somehow doubt that will suffice, and have asked again for a P1 , but am not too optimistic!

In the meantime, the accountants are going to see if the BR2198 will work!
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

Another update...I rang the Dept of Work & Pensions...the International Section I think...they have never heard of a form P1, they only issue a IPC 147.
They thought HMRC might be able to help, but don't see why!
Not promising!
logicbob
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by logicbob »

Geoff wrote:Another update...I rang the Dept of Work & Pensions...the International Section I think...they have never heard of a form P1, they only issue a IPC 147.
They thought HMRC might be able to help, but don't see why!
Not promising!
Geoff, I have been to every department of our government system asking for a P1 form and nobody knows what I am talking about. I believe that it is a mix up in translation and that the "P" actually stands for primary so therefore "Primary 1" which would relate to the form BR 2198 being the first one received when retiring. Anyone else got any ideas?
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

Some good news.......the Portuguese Authorities have accepted my situation ie that as a retired UK Pensioner, I do not need to pay Portuguese Social security...but they haven't accepted it for my wife, but I/accountants can't find out why!
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

Even better news....new accountants say that Portugese Social Security only arises if rental income >€12,500....which it isn't, so it's all been a lot if fuss over nothing!
RichardHenshall
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by RichardHenshall »

Geoff, do you know if that figure of €12,500 is/was relevant to last year's taxable income being 15% of turnover or the new rate of 35% of turnover? I seem to recall reading somewhere that the thresholds are related to taxable income... :?
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

Geoff, do you know if that figure of €12,500 is/was relevant to last year's taxable income being 15% of turnover or the new rate of 35% of turnover? I seem to recall reading somewhere that the thresholds are related to taxable income..
'fraid not....but thought they said that whilst it was 15%, it's now 25% but will be 35% next year...