Travelrent

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
Farol
CVO Master
CVO Master

Travelrent

Post by Farol »

Just come back from a trip where we used Travelrent booked via Economy Car Hire rather than Algarvedriver/YOR as YOR's July & August prices were just too high. We had used Travelrent a couple of times before without any problem but this time for the first time ever in all my years of renting from different companies in different locations I had to reject the car.

All the paprwork was completed quickly and the lady in the hut was friendly but when the driver arrived with the car it was a 5 year old Fiesta that had not been cleaned inside nor out, had two bald rear tyres worn below the indicator strips and the spare was just loose in the boot.

When I complained and refused to take it the rep argued and said there was nothing wrong with the tyres!

The rep phoned their office/pound and eventually they agreed to supply an alternative which arrived a few minutes later driven by the boss. He looked at the car I had rejected attempted to say it was acceptable and then had raised voices with the driver that had delivered the first car.

All in all not a good experience nor a nice way to start a holiday.
economycarhire
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Re: Travelrent

Post by economycarhire »

Hello Farol,

It's Gemma from Economy Car Hire here.

I am sorry to hear of your recent experience with Travelrent. That is certainly not the standard of service that we would expect from any supplier that we work with. I am glad that you managed to get a replacement car organised quickly, having rejected the first one. In peak times, (mid-July to mid-August) the suppliers are dealing with the highest volume of bookings that they will have all year. This does not however excuse the situation that took place. You did the right thing by rejecting a vehicle that you were unhappy with. I hope that you choose to book with us again. If ever a similar situation arises and the supplier will not assist, please do not hesitate to call us so that we can resolve the situation for you.

Kind regards
Gemma
Economy Car Hire
Aldo
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Aldo »

Hi Farol
We were given the old Fiesta from Travel Rent a while back and it is a death trap. We too had booked via ECH
Therefore when I arrived bu myself in May I stated I did not want the fiesta. Low and behold I had been alocated a fiesta whilst all the other drivers collecting a car had been allocated a Renault. I pointed this out to the woman on the desk and she was not interested. The fiesta which arrived was not the death trap but one a little younger but still not in great condition. Therefore on our trips in June and July we have booked with Rentauto, great car - brand new panda and good service. Highly recommended.
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

There are pros and cons to using ECH. The booking process is exceptionally good and the pricing very competitive. Over 10 years I have remained loyal to ECH but used several of their car rental suppliers including Traverent, Rentauto & Drive4fun.

I believe that they all have a number of older, high mileage vehicles and a few newer models & it's a lottery as to what you get. I guess this is what enables them to price below Avis, Hertz etc.

In my experience Rentauto seem to be more flexible on collection & drop off times without additional charges & Drive4fun have the most pleasant staff. Travelrent are less pleasant to deal with.

Would I pay a premium to guarantee a new vehicle ? Probably not especially if I have to go on a bus to collect & return the vehicle.
superbocker
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by superbocker »

Widge has hit the nail on the head. It can be pot luck with regard to the vehicle. But i use RentAuto as they are really flexible and and understanding and allow me to use my own transponder.
D4F flatly refuse to allow me use my transponder giving a lame reason which is clearly a money making ploy as Rentauto dont quibble about it.

Travelrent do have an older fleet. If they are significantltly cheaper and i am prepared to take a chance i go with them but generally out of season

BUT

Rentauto generally come out top of the ECH renters
sam
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sam »

Returned from CVO earlier this week. I booked through ECH and selected TravelRent. There was a queue on collection, but I got a new Panda (!.044k on clock). I paid the 15 euro for using Car Park 4, but the car was delivered to the road at the back of the kiosk. You then had to check the car whilst in the road. Car was returned to Car Park 1 (short stay), not car park 4. Seems a rather dubious practice.
DaveK
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by DaveK »

I have used Travelrent for the last 35 hires, and for the last few have noticed that the cars are older with problems that are dismissed on collection and check out on return. The woman who met us on return last time three weeks ago insisted the fuel level was not sufficient. I know it was just above the level when the car was collected and she backed down. Trying it on ? I have a further booking with them for September. See what happens. I hope ECH take note or I will be off elsewhere pretty quickly. The old established staff at the desk are fine but I will not be treated again in this manner.
PhilT
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by PhilT »

A newcomer to the forum, but I've owned something at RB for 25+ years and probably rented cars as many as 100 times. The forum sponsor (algarvedriver on behalf of YOR) seem to be either competitive or will price match, with newish cars and a presence at the airport. In all this time we've been subject to two attempted scams, the first a "failed tyre" and the second a "front nearside scrub". On the first the agent backed down and on the second (only my wife was there) Steen intervened to our advantage. I'd be interested to know why you'd go anywhere else?
mug
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by mug »

I also have used ECH and TravelRent on our last 3 visits. The first time we were seduced by an almost new Renault Clio but thereafter the cars have been rather old. But perfectly ok. The collection and return has been with the minimum of fuss. Sometimes its good to have a hire car that has seen a bit of life! Our Sept booking is again with TR via ECH. With all the inexpensive competition ECH and TR need to be both at the top of their game.
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

PhilT wrote:A newcomer to the forum, but I've owned something at RB for 25+ years and probably rented cars as many as 100 times. The forum sponsor (algarvedriver on behalf of YOR) seem to be either competitive or will price match, with newish cars and a presence at the airport. In all this time we've been subject to two attempted scams, the first a "failed tyre" and the second a "front nearside scrub". On the first the agent backed down and on the second (only my wife was there) Steen intervened to our advantage. I'd be interested to know why you'd go anywhere else?
This is an "old chestnut". Price match isn't liked or trusted by many discerning consumers. There has been a significant price differential between Algarvedriver & others every time I have price checked. I want to encourage competitive pricing not price matching !
PhilT
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by PhilT »

"puzzled" - if they are discerning, why are they not price matching, is this tautology? If you don't price match (compare) eg to (buy a new car) (set up a services subscription)...how do you encourage competition...
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

PhilT wrote:"puzzled" - if they are discerning, why are they not price matching, is this tautology? If you don't price match (compare) eg to (buy a new car) (set up a services subscription)...how do you encourage competition...
Economists and antitrust authorities have long been concerned that price matching policies may actually reduce the incentive to lower prices. e.g. If rental companies know that lowering prices will be matched by rivals, there’s less upside to discounting — what’s the point if renters will simply go to their favourite car rental supplier and request a price match?

They may also provide a false sense of security. Researchers recently found that 86% of retailers that offered to match any price — advertised or not — did not offer the lowest price. With car rental it's even more difficult as the advertised price is often not the same as the quotation or the price you end up paying as there are invariably "extras" or "exclusions" depending upon the renters terms and conditions.

In reality I suspect very few people do sufficient research to attempt a "price match " armed with fistfuls of printouts proving lower prices & similar terms & conditions offered by rivals — remember that price matching does not apply in high season (July & August) either. However, those who purchase on the faith that they are getting a “reasonable price” will get the short stick — they’ll pay more. Realistically, how many of us are going to show up with price match evidence for hiring a car ?

That's why I would prefer competitive pricing instead of price matching. Offer me YOR best price not your competitors (excuse the pun) ! :D
Aldo
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Aldo »

I did ask for a price match from Algarve Driver and it could not be done so booked Rentauto via ECH and got great car & price
LICY
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by LICY »

I have used travelrent since 2002. We rent about 8 times a year. The last car was so new you could smell the newness. Never had any issues, so sad to hear a couple of bad stories. We tend to rent Clio or similar, but the next car we need something with lots of boot space so give ordered a Megane SW. If I was given a poor quality car I may cease renting with TR.
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by widge »

LICY wrote:I have used travelrent since 2002. We rent about 8 times a year. The last car was so new you could smell the newness. Never had any issues, so sad to hear a couple of bad stories. We tend to rent Clio or similar, but the next car we need something with lots of boot space so give ordered a Megane SW. If I was given a poor quality car I may cease renting with TR.
Thought you were with zit auto ? xx