Canadian renters!

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
LICY
CVO Master
CVO Master

Canadian renters!

Post by LICY »

Have others suddenly found an influx of Canadians wanting to rent for 3 months over the winter? Until 2014 I have never had someone renting from Canada. I also noticed at Smilers the Canadian visitors can meet there. Just wonder, when it is so far away, why now? We have someone staying in the summer from Canada, but the other 4 requests came in the space of about 3 weeks for December 2015 through to March 2016. Have to say, I want to stay on and off during that time, so would have been very reluctant to give up my holiday time. If there is anyone else that wants to rent, quite happy to pass your details on. I presume they would want to be close to town. :D
shaz1967
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Re: Canadian renters!

Post by shaz1967 »

Hello Licy
I have sent you a pm.
Regards Sharon
cereza
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by cereza »

The Algarve and CVO in particular has been popular in January to March with Canadians for many years. I often rented out to them when I had a place on Rocha Brava. In recent years It probably went a bit quiet due the the strong Euro but now that it has weakened you will see the Canadians come back again plus the fact that this winter in the north east of North America has been extremely cold and snowy !!
One thing though if you do rent out to them - watch out for your heating bills :wink:
shanagarry
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by shanagarry »

Like Cereza we rented our place to Canadians for many years - on the basis they are fully responsible for the heating and electricity costs - and never had a problem.

Similarly, the Norwegians migrate south during their hard winters and they too are good people to rent to.

Winter lets are good for the property as they keep it aired and warm preventing the dampness that can be detrimental to the fabric of the older properties. The only proviso being that the tenants are checked out in advance - as I'm sure some will counter my submission with 'horror stories' of their own.
LICY
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by LICY »

Hopefully 2 weeks in August won't need too much heating. :lol: :lol: The others I rejected as it's too long. I will not reduce our price either. One person was very rude so wouldn't give his details to others. Thought he was funny at first and then he basically told me we were money grabbers because I would not discount the winter price. I can tell you I felt like telling him to go forth.... :evil:
I have never been aware Canadians enjoyed CVO/The Algarve. You learn something new each day.
shanagarry
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by shanagarry »

LICY wrote:I will not reduce our price either
Am I reading this right - are you charging the same prices in Winter as you are in the Summer?
John1
CVO Senior
CVO Senior
Location: Temporarily Cumbria but hope to be back in Portugal one day

Post by John1 »

Quite a few Canadians have long winter holidays at Colina de Lapa at Sesmarias and at Gaivota Ferragudo.
shanagarry
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by shanagarry »

John1 wrote:Quite a few Canadians have long winter holidays
They get together in some of the out of town restaurants. I remember reading somewhere some time back of a connection between the Canadians and Carvoeiro - going back to wartime - but don't remember the detail.

I know there's a few subscribe to this Forum - perhaps they can help?
cereza
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by cereza »

One Canadian renter that I had told me the only problem with CVO was that there were too many Canadians :wink: :lol:
sunman
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sunman »

cereza wrote:One Canadian renter that I had told me the only problem with CVO was that there were too many Canadians :wink: :lol:
One minute we're saying CVO is dead in the winter, now we're saying the streets are awash with Canadians, :shock: :shock:
tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by tricky »

Cvo has always been popular with Canadians in the winter. We've got a six week booking at the moment. They are lovely and to them a Cvo spring is the hight of summer
shanagarry
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by shanagarry »

sunman wrote:now we're saying the streets are awash with Canadians,
I don't believe the Canadians to be of the tourist kind - they are not 'big-spenders' and just blend in with the community. Remember, they are usually in Cvo for the Winter months only and probably living on their pensions - not living the high-life.
cereza
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by cereza »

sunman wrote:
cereza wrote:One Canadian renter that I had told me the only problem with CVO was that there were too many Canadians :wink: :lol:
One minute we're saying CVO is dead in the winter, now we're saying the streets are awash with Canadians, :shock: :shock:
It was a few years ago and also it was said as a joke hence the wink :wink: :lol:

I haven't visited CVO in winter for a few years so I couldn't comment on the current state of affairs :(
bugsey
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by bugsey »

Yes Canadians do come for up to 3 months in the winter. Why you ask, well we have a very cold winter and to escape that we come here. Any longer than 3 months we have to get a visa which is fairly costly and can only be obtained once we are here.
We also come here to get away from lots of Canadians who go to the Caribbean, Florida and Mexico in the winter (which are OK distance wise and for shorter visits). Here is very laid back and we can meet other cultures at a reasonable cost of living.
Why here, well there is a direct flight from eastern Canada to Faro twice a week in winter for some Canadians.
Why do Canadians go to Smilers I cannot answer as I don't go there for a meeting of Canadians every Thursday but Geraldine welcomes their business. As said above, I come here to meet different cultures.
I have been coming here for the last 9 years and rent for up to ten weeks because I like it (which works out to be around two full years in Carvoeiro).
LICY
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by LICY »

shanagarry wrote:
LICY wrote:I will not reduce our price either
Am I reading this right - are you charging the same prices in Winter as you are in the Summer?
What made you think it is the same as summer? I wish. I will not reduce our winter prices as they are the best part of a third of July/August price. Anyway I want to be in my villa on and off. Enjoy The Wolf by the way. :lol: