IMI

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
biffa
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: IMI

Post by biffa »

Sounds easier to use a fiscal rep to me :lol:
Aldo
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Aldo »

just paid mine via my banif online banking - 2 mins job
Sheila
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Sheila »

SatRoger wrote:
Sheila wrote:
RichardHenshall wrote:Follow these links:

Início > Os Seus Serviços > Consultar > Imóveis > Notas Cobrança > 2014
Still nothing appearing here yet.

It says ( in Portuguese) due to technical difficulties they cannot satisfy my request. Please try again later.

We are coming to Portugal on 17th and won't be home until after the due date so if they send the bill home we will miss it, so I guess we will have to go into the tax office to get the bill if it doesn't arrive by then.
The bill should be there, they were sent in March. You have until April 30 to pay either in full (if less than 200€) or the first installment.

Also, try this link: https://www.portaldasfinancas.gov.pt/pt ... ation.view
Then click on Documentos de Cobrança under IMI
It says:-
Contribuinte sem notas de cobrança no Imposto Municipal Sobre Imóveis.
Which translates to:-

Taxpayer without charging notes in the Municipal Property Tax.

Maybe it hasn't appeared yet because we've only just got our habitation license.
SatRoger
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by SatRoger »

Sheila wrote:It says:-

Maybe it hasn't appeared yet because we've only just got our habitation license.
Did you pay IMI last year? If you bought your property this year, you will start to pay IMI in 2016. This year IMI (technically from last year) is for the owner listed on Dec 31 2014.
Sheila
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Sheila »

SatRoger wrote:
Sheila wrote:It says:-

Did you pay IMI last year? If you bought your property this year, you will start to pay IMI in 2016. This year IMI (technically from last year) is for the owner listed on Dec 31 2014.
The house is a new build. Officially notified as complete to the financas department by our architect in November at which time we were fined 75 euros for not telling them in August. Why they chose August we have no idea as the building license didn't expire until December. The architect said usually you don't notify them until you have the habitation licence but Monchique camara wanted them told before they would issue the habitation licence. We have just collected that today so maybe we won't pay for last year. Perhaps the 75 euros was in lieu of that..... who knows. We went to the financas today to enquire but there was a long q and having already waited an hour for the presidente to sign the licence we gave up. :(
SatRoger
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by SatRoger »

Sheila wrote:The house is a new build. Officially notified as complete to the financas department by our architect in November at which time we were fined 75 euros for not telling them in August. Why they chose August we have no idea as the building license didn't expire until December. The architect said usually you don't notify them until you have the habitation licence but Monchique camara wanted them told before they would issue the habitation licence. We have just collected that today so maybe we won't pay for last year. Perhaps the 75 euros was in lieu of that..... who knows. We went to the financas today to enquire but there was a long q and having already waited an hour for the presidente to sign the licence we gave up. :(
Go back to Finanças and ask about it. If you have to pay anything, the last day to pay without any penalty is 4/30. From what I found online, the date for the IMI is the oldest of the:
1. Date of issue of habitation license
2. Sign of the "escritura" on Conservatória do Registro Civil
3. Notification of conclusion of the building/house/apartment.
4. Effective date of living on the house

If any of those were done in 2014 (and it looks like your architect did notify Finanças in November) then, most likely, you will have to pay IMI for 2014, but go to Finanças to confirm it.
joeysoap
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by joeysoap »

Sheila wrote:We went to the financas today to enquire but there was a long q and having already waited an hour for the presidente to sign the licence we gave up. :(
If you time your attendance in Financas it might be so bad, (ie before 10am) take a number for the IMI section from the vending machine on entry and with any luck they will get to you quickly.If you do owe IMI tax they will take cash or a Portuguse card. They will also printout the invoice and you can pay it at any MB. Agree with SatRoger, go to Finances and find out. Good Luck.
Sheila
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Sheila »

We went to the Financas as advised. We got there at 9 and there was already a queue. But it was worth the wait.

It appears there is nothing to pay but as the lady we saw didn't speak English she couldn't explain why but she did suggest we wouldn't have to pay for 4 years!

I found this explanation on the internet.

"An additional IMI exemption is foreseen for properties subject to rehabilitation when located in special urban rehabilitation zones ...........under the new Urban Lease Law. Such exemption may be granted for a period of five years (including the year of conclusion of the rehabilitation), which may be renewed for an additional period of five years. They only apply to properties subject to rehabilitation after 1 January 2008 and completed until 31 December 2020. The beginning and the conclusion of the construction works must be certificated by the municipality. The exemption and relevant conditions are approved by the municipal assembly."

We bought a ruin and built a house in its place.
Sheila
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Sheila »

We have just received emails saying our IMI is overdue even though we have not received a paper bill. I have logged in to the finance portal and I can see the bills. Separate ones for my husband and myself. We need to pay them online. There is a 16 digit reference but only room for 15 digits in the reference field on the STATE Tax tab on my online banking. Do I drop the first or last?
Sheila
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Sheila »

Sheila wrote:We have just received emails saying our IMI is overdue even though we have not received a paper bill. I have logged in to the finance portal and I can see the bills. Separate ones for my husband and myself. We need to pay them online. There is a 16 digit reference but only room for 15 digits in the reference field on the STATE Tax tab on my online banking. Do I drop the first or last?
We've found the original bills online with the 15 digit ref. But this new bill is a DEBT with added charges and interest and a longer ref.so i think we will have to go into the tax office and pay it.
Geriatric
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Geriatric »

Earlier this year I overlooked payment and received a demand including costs which had a 15 digit reference as normal. It had to be paid in 32 days. Perhaps you did not pay first late demand and the game changes for further late period.
Sheila
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Sheila »

Sheila wrote:
Sheila wrote:We have just received emails saying our IMI is overdue even though we have not received a paper bill. I have logged in to the finance portal and I can see the bills. Separate ones for my husband and myself. We need to pay them online. There is a 16 digit reference but only room for 15 digits in the reference field on the STATE Tax tab on my online banking. Do I drop the first or last?
We've found the original bills online with the 15 digit ref. But this new bill is a DEBT with added charges and interest and a longer ref.so i think we will have to go into the tax office and pay it.
We went to the tax office and paid the bills. They couldn't tell us why there was nothing to pay in April and the bills only appeared in November. Or why we didn't get a paper bill. But the lady said we could either log in or phone her in April and she would tell us what we owe. If they could email us about the debt I wonder why they couldn't have emailed us about the original bills.