An option for occasional Internet users

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
malrc
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

An option for occasional Internet users

Post by malrc »

This is an option for getting UK TV for short periods if you don't have a broadband link.

On arrival at the airport at the Vodafone shop I bought a Mobile WiFi R206 box and a GO 7 SIM Card.

The box allows you to wirelessly connect tablets and phones to the internet and the card gives you 4gig of data for 7 days

The box costs 40 euros and the card costs 12.50 euros.

Using an Android tablet and a HDMI cable I was able to watch UK TV via the Filmon App without any real problems. Watching for 3-4 hours and email/social media used about 1 gig a day so the card is good for a weekend visit and can be reloaded next time I visit.

Not a permanent or cheap solution but as I'm never there for long periods an annual Broadband contract would be a lot more expensive for the use I'd make of it.
S_Monty
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Re: An option for occasional Internet users

Post by S_Monty »

Yes I can second that.

Got a mobile wi-fi device. I was advised that the Vodafone ones are best. Cost of the device including sim card was 40 odd euros. Been using it (off and on) since September. Similar to mobile phone sims you just have to make sure there's a top up done once every 3 months. A great solution for twitter / Facebook / e-mails etc. I was told a €10 top up would give approx 10 hours of use but from what I reckon we're getting much more than that.

Please don't ask about Gb of download - I'm a bit of a technophobe. Suffice to say a great answer for occasional use. And of course it's totally mobile so you can take it out and about with you.
jmmferreira
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Re: An option for occasional Internet users

Post by jmmferreira »

If you want a occasional solution that gives you unlimited traffic, for approximately the same price, you can also hire an Wifi hotspot.
There is a company that does that specific service. They are called Portugal Internet, and you can find them at http://www.portugalinternet.com