Cespa petrol station outside Amacao De Pera

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: Cespa petrol station outside Amacao De Pera

Post by alf1956 »

laserblazer wrote:
We never take receipts as we have no need for them
Unless your friendly, neighbourhood GNR officer asks to see them?
Why ? do you need to show receipts for the fuel you have put in your car ?
DVBRO
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by DVBRO »

[quote
Why ? do you need to show receipts for the fuel you have put in your car ?[/quote]
As far as I know, the Goverment has decreed that you must keep the receipts for everything, till you get home.
If you are stopped and can't prove where you purchased it, you will be fined.
Likewise, do NOT use store loyalty cards as your purchases go directly back to Finances, so they can check on your spending. I.e where is the money coming from? Has tax been paid etc.
RichardHenshall
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by RichardHenshall »

alf1956 wrote:... The end result whichever way you look at it was that we paid €10 for fuel that obviously did not go into our tank.
I don't think you can conclude that, based on the circumstances you have described. Diesel engines do not like running out of fuel or having any sludge at the bottom of the tank drawn into the fuel filter and injector pump. As a result most (diesel-engined) cars will have their fuel gauges 'empty' suitably calibrated and warning lights set to trigger well above (really) empty to avoid these problems.

In my car the warning light comes on when there is still 10-12 litres remaining and below that there is very little perceptible movement of the needle, whether I drive 25 miles or 75 miles. If I'd done 75 miles and then put in ~8 litres the warning light would probably remain lit and the gauge would still show empty. Another ~8 litres would bring it to about 1/4 full on the gauge.

In the context of the 10€ top-up there is a big difference between just showing empty and actually being nearly empty.
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

Applying the science of logic to this i put in €10 of diesel in at 2 separate garages when the gauge was at the same place on the gauge which was empty&the fuel warning light was on&the gauge went to exactly the same place&the fuel warning light went out. I then put the same €10 of fuel in the garage in question only for the gauge not to move at all&the fuel warning light still stay on.
RichardHenshall
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by RichardHenshall »

If you'd put in another 10€ of fuel from the garage in question and the gauge had gone up the second time, would you still have concluded that you'd got none (or been under-supplied) the first time? It's a possible and logical explanation but so is mine, so it's not the only possible and logical explanation.

How far had you driven between each of these 10€ top-ups? How far do you drive after the light first comes on before you put more fuel in? How far have you driven since you picked the car up at the airport and how many times have you put 10€ of fuel into it? What fuel consumption figures are you getting?

If the garage in question decided to sue you for libel, do you think you would win the case?
laserblazer
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by laserblazer »

The car I had from YOR earlier in the month was showing full when I got it and stilled showed full after driving to Carvoeiro and doing all the running around next day. When the gauge did start to drop, it initially fell like a stone. Next time, I could get the car with it still showing full but at the point where it is just about to drop. So the journey to CVO could indicate I used a lot more fuel. Unlike F1 cars, fuel gauges are not that accurate.
roy4eyes
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by roy4eyes »

If I accidentally let the fuel get too low my gauge sticks on zero until I have at least a quarter tank when it suddenly jumps to the correct position.

It is a bit like a boat which gets stuck in mud and requires a minimum depth of water to refloat it !!
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

RichardHenshall wrote:If you'd put in another 10€ of fuel from the garage in question and the gauge had gone up the second time, would you still have concluded that you'd got none (or been under-supplied) the first time? It's a possible and logical explanation but so is mine, so it's not the only possible and logical explanation.

How far had you driven between each of these 10€ top-ups? How far do you drive after the light first comes on before you put more fuel in? How far have you driven since you picked the car up at the airport and how many times have you put 10€ of fuel into it? What fuel consumption figures are you getting?

If the garage in question decided to sue you for libel, do you think you would win the case?
For ten euros? I couldn't be ars*d with that malarkey on holiday, forget it and enjoy life. :lol:
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

Thank you for your words of wisdom Pato i do really enjoy my life very much&the post was not about the €10 of fuel but the possibility that something could be amiss. I will now think twice before posting anything again that may be in the slightest informative. There was a case in the UK not so long ago where a garage had doctored the fuel pumps so that they gave short measures resulting in the customers being given short measures of fuel so it is beyond the realms of possibility for this to happen in other countries.Having run businesses all my life ranging from haulage companies, food outlets, mail order, telecommunications&garages myself i am well aware of the "sharp practice"s that can occur.
shaz1967
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by shaz1967 »

I remember being the victim of a similar thing a few years ago when i was a rep for a big cosmetic company. I used to use a certain petrol station near to where i lived mainly for convenience&the accounts department picked up on anomalies on my fuel card that initially looked like i was either taking fuel for my own use or selling it as there was a discrepancy. After lengthy checks etc we found out that the petrol station was delivering short measures of fuel which resulted in the petrol station being taken to court by trading standards.
sunman
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sunman »

alf1956 wrote:Thank you for your words of wisdom Pato i do really enjoy my life very much&the post was not about the €10 of fuel but the possibility that something could be amiss. I will now think twice before posting anything again that may be in the slightest informative. There was a case in the UK not so long ago where a garage had doctored the fuel pumps so that they gave short measures resulting in the customers being given short measures of fuel so it is beyond the realms of possibility for this to happen in other countries.Having run businesses all my life ranging from haulage companies, food outlets, mail order, telecommunications&garages myself i am well aware of the "sharp practice"s that can occur.
alf, you've satisfied yourself that you've been ripped off by the garage, & you've posted it here so that folk can come to their own conclusions about whether to visit said garage or not, so you've done a good job :) don't be put off from posting again, it's helpful.

on of my part time jobs in Sunman's school days was manning a filling station on the Old Kent Road after school, it was a well known practice not to set the gauge to zero as folk lifted the nozzle to scam some cash or petrol; it would seem a tad more difficult to pull of in Portugal, lots of locals in particular only put €5 or €10 worth in the tank at a time, mainly for economic reasons, so maybe they take a chance by letting Auntie Maria put €10 in their tank & leaving it on for the next hapless customer to pay for :shock: