Burgled again - the straw that broke the Camel's back

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
R.Wethereyet
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Re: Burgled again - the straw that broke the Camel's back

Post by R.Wethereyet »

I used to live in Richmond.

The original one in North Yorkshire.
shanagarry
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by shanagarry »

Car loaded and Santander bound in the morning.

Adeus Carvoeiro :(
bruce
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by bruce »

Have a safe journey back to the UK Shanagarry.
laserblazer
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by laserblazer »

shanagarry wrote:Car loaded and Santander bound in the morning.

Don't forget to change the location in your profile. A sad day for you :(
shanagarry
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by shanagarry »

laserblazer wrote:A sad day for you
Yes it is and while I will come back to clear up a few things over the next 2 months - it will not be the same. It's been an enjoyable 28 years and we have many many great memories - I want to cherish them from a time of easy and pleasant living - not from behind barred windows, alarms and bolted doors.

It's been great and thanks to the Forum members who have been a great source of help and guidance as we've sought assistance with Carvoeiro living :)
sunman
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sunman »

laserblazer wrote:
shanagarry wrote:Car loaded and Santander bound in the morning.

Don't forget to change the location in your profile. A sad day for you :(
a bloke leaves Carvoeiro after 28 years and your observation is 'don't forget to change the location in your profile', sorry, but what a plonkish thing to say :shock:

hope you've had a good trip back shanagarry, welcome back to SE England, from what I've seen of the weather since we've been back it's the only place to be 8) ,

would love to say more but I'd better get on and update my profile before the location police get me :D
soulman
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by soulman »

I thought you only came to live here in June 2010, were the other 26 years as an owner/holidaymaker?
shanagarry
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by shanagarry »

soulman wrote:I thought you only came to live here in June 2010, were the other 26 years as an owner/holidaymaker?
Yes - the first 6 years we came 2-3 times a year staying in all sorts of places - some great - others not. That also coincided with me learning to play Golf and I was smitten. Couldn't get enough of it as it was sensibly priced then - unlike now.

That started us on the property 'merry-go-round' and all that entails - coming on average 8 times a year. Living near Gatwick has some benefits.

Stopped for the night in Salamanca - nice place :)
laserblazer
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by laserblazer »

Somewhere in Northern Europe
Never fear - the Location Police will still find you. :)
blue
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by blue »

I think this is a great shame, I don't know if where you live makes a huge difference, I guess it must. We've lived here nearly seven years now & been burgled once & that was in a rental in ADM. We've lived in the campo for five years & as I type I have lots of doors & window open, we always do, we always did in England, I probably have a false sense of security because of the dogs. I would hate to have to live with doors & windows shut all the time.

Good luck with your journey back, I hope you feel safer & happier in your new home.
Let us know how the cats & dog cope with the travelling. We had a great trip over with ours but that was on the chunnel.
shanagarry
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by shanagarry »

blue wrote:I don't know if where you live makes a huge difference
Our property is in Mato Serrao and was chosen because it is in a busy area - not that it made any difference. It was a not an easy decision - and we are not planning on burning any bridges - but I don't believe we will return to live any time soon - if ever.

The need for the intensified security certainly played a major part in our decision, given the absence of such intrusions over the previous 20+ years - I guess we were lucky - given the tales of woe we have heard from less fortunate friends.

I travelled back alone through Santander (all 970 kms) to Portsmouth - an uneventful journey and am now back in the UK. The dog is being re-homed and the cats will be brought back shortly - I'm told :roll:
pointersister
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by pointersister »

Hope you are happy in UK. It was a big decision to make leaving sunshine for clouds but I am sure you have thought long and hard about it and all will go well for you. God luck.
laserblazer
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by laserblazer »

I believe Blue lives in the "sticks" and I wonder if this is an advantage with less scope for the opportunist?
blue
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by blue »

Shanagarry I'm sorry I didn't mean where 'you' live I meant where 'one' lives, I wonder if where 'one' lives makes a difference?

What do you mean the dog's being rehomed?! Didn't you rescue him in the first place? I don't care where I was going I could never leave my dogs, if I couldn't take them with me I wouldn't go. :(
bruce
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by bruce »

blue wrote:Shanagarry I'm sorry I didn't mean where 'you' live I meant where 'one' lives, I wonder if where 'one' lives makes a difference?

What do you mean the dog's being rehomed?! Didn't you rescue him in the first place? I don't care where I was going I could never leave my dogs, if I couldn't take them with me I wouldn't go. :(
For once blue we are in agreement - a dog is for life!