Charges for Emptying septic Tanks

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
andara
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Charges for Emptying septic Tanks

Post by andara »

I have recently been notified by my villa manager of increases to charges for emptying septic tanks. I quote

"New regulations and charges have been introduced by the local municipalities from the beginning of
August.

1) It is no longer permitted to empty septic tanks over the weekend and on public holidays

2) The Council charges the sewage disposal service 25 Euros for every tanker load discharged into the sewage system. Most properties require the removal of two tanker loads, adding 50 Euros to the normal charge.

This means that the standard charge for emptying a septic tank will be ¤160 and the cleaning / unblocking of pipes ¤110."

Are other forum members who live in the Carvoeiro area aware of these increases, and indeed, is anyone aware of plans to connect up to the main sewerage system, for which work was completed in sthe Sesmarias area about two years ago?
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: Charges for Emptying septic Tanks

Post by EMM »

We had a letter from the council a few months ago informing us that subject to getting the paperwork in order we can now connect to the system ( do not know the cost yet as it is the homeowners responsibility to put in the pipework from the house to the sewer).

We have noticed that some of our neighbours are opting for a DIY solution rather than get the JCB in.
andara
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by andara »

Many thanks. If you get any idea of costs for connecting to the main sewerage pipes, I'd be very grateful to hear.
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

Have you had a letter from the camara informing you that you can connect ?
aussie
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by aussie »

Does the connection to the mains sewerage not incur an ongoing charge? I thought I saw somewhere that you would be charged a rate in proportion to your use of water. So you pay for the water you consume and thats expensive, and then you pay pro rata for the water/waste that is expelled.
EMM
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by EMM »

" Solidos " is already on your wter bill as a % of the total.
Gambrinus

Post by Gambrinus »

It gets worse: They have also limited the number of times one company can unload in a day. If yo are unlucky, you might end up having to wait a day before the tank can be emptied, because the local companies have all used their "s#!t disposal" quota.

The result: 6am somewhere in Carvoeiro you may find a large tanker with the nozzle in a manhole happily pumping residue into the sewage network. Can't say I blame them.