The International School

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
Nicola
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

The International School

Post by Nicola »

Hello Everybody!
We are a family of 5 hoping to come and live in our villa next September. We are hoping to place our three children at The International School. I would appreciate any help or advise that any members think would come in useful.
We have owned our villa for 4/5 years and have had several holidays in Carvoeiro - WE ALL LOVE IT! :D
My husband is an experienced builder, wanting to slow down the pace of life . He would still like small projects to undertake, eg. patios, walls, tiling.
I look forward to receiving any information that can be offered.
Thanks.
Nicola.

Post by Guest »

well the international school is very expensive..they had a revolution on their hands about 2 years ago when their fees went up 25% (inflation 2%!!!)

if your children are young enough then suggest portuguese school..they will learn the language vey quickly

with regard to your husband being a builder...there are many builders here...look back page under business ideas for advice.....if he can do plumbing well that would be good.

if you can see the bbc programme "living the dream" a lesson for all who think naivity and everything is just like uk is the order of the day.

last piece of advice..is that many expats become worse here that the locals for their tardiness. and sloth....keep your standards.....dont be as we used to say in africa "go native"

the portuguese for all the critism do yes do get the job done but sometimes the worst offenders for not doing work are the expats who run businesses here.

always get paid up front first...so at least you dont lose money on materials you might buy..

and finally remember what somerset maughn said about monaco but is true here...its a sunny place for shady people
tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by tricky »

Hi Nicola

I wish you every good luck in your new life, but although I can't help you regarding the International school, I can tell you about friends of mine who have lived in CVO for five years. They were in a similar situation to yourselves, two small children, husband is a builder. They put the girls into International school for as long as they could afford it, and also had
extra portugese lessons for them. After a year they transfered them to the local portugese school where the children were very happy and did very well. The husband initially took any kind of job, pool cleaning,
villa maintanance, but they also had to rent a property to live in.
After two years they bought a run down shack which he has since transformed into a fantastic house with pool up in the hills. The wife got a job in a local shop. They have never looked back. When we visit them,
they look so healthy and stress-free. The children are so happy. Okay they can't afford caribbean holidays, but they don't want them.
All I can say- is I wish I had the bottle - Go for it
Best wishes

Tricky
Nicola
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Local Schools

Post by Nicola »

I have certainly taken on board those comments - thank you tricky & guest. Could anybody tell me who to contact with regards to the local schools? We are coming to CVO for Christmas and want to check out any roads open to us. :D
With regards to being naive, I don't think we need worry, although I think we are probably too trusting!! I will remember about money up front - not something we have to demand here.
I do like the quote about shady people!!! That too will remain logged!!!
Look forward to hearing from others,
kind regards,
Nicola.
Gambrinus

Post by Gambrinus »

I can only back Guest's comments on reliability and hard work, if you are and you do, you have a good chance of securing a good life down here.

Otherwise you may end up like so many others from all over who came (this is the whole "how do you make a small fortune in Carvoeiro?" story) and went with nothing to show for themselves.

As for the schools, Algarve International is a long way away from the standards of a few years ago, like so many other services that become sought after down here. The price/quality relationship is shot to shite and people are desperatly looking for alternatives.

Alas, British School of the Algarve is a long way away from settling in as a real alternative and that is about it for international schools in the Lagoa region.

A local school is a good option for the children to learn the language but I advise you back them with some learning material from english school systems. That way they always have the option to switch to an english school in Lisbon or in UK later on without too much difficulty.