Renting during Euro 2004

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
Carole

Renting during Euro 2004

Post by Carole »

What are other owners who normally rent out their properties, doing during the period of Euro 2004.? Are they putting up the cost of their rents, not renting at all, or do they think there will be no problems.
Would very much appreciate their opinions.
Guest 4

Post by Guest 4 »

For sure hiking the damage deposit for starters - I have heard 400 % of norm as an example. Secondly make sure that your agent is vetting potential lets - have heard some are demanding photo copies of passports as proof.
maddi
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maddi »

Please ask around more generally on this site, in particular talk some advertisers who feature on the rental pages and do a search on the forum - this discussed at great length some time ago, and many owners were saying that they saw Euro 2004 as an oportunity to introduce more people to the delights of Portugal and that wouldn't happen if everyone artificially raised prices too high, many visitors would simply not return.

In a number of places, I have noticed the Peak season also including the weeks of Euro 2004, which does seem relatively fair. Others are increasing breakages deposits but many are trying to ensure that they get the sort of people who normally reside in their property, by simply asking for the names and ages of all occupants on the booking form (if it looks like it is always part of your procedures, no-one will bat an eyelid) so with a four bedroom villa perhaps, you may want two in their sixties, two in their thirties/forties and two children orr two families. If you are happy to let to young single sex groups, then a polite notice saying that there is an increased breakages deposit during this period and their response to it should also sort the wheat from the chaffe.

Good luck with your plans, but as usual I urge everyone not to be in for the short term fast buck on the back of Euro 2004, lets try and get families who may never have been to Portugal thinking that it is a wonderful place they would like to visit over and over again.

Maddi