Internet

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
chipmunk

Internet

Post by chipmunk »

:D

Can a budding technocrat advise pls..I keep hearing conflicting info.....
I pay almosr 300 Euro per month on Internet,,...I have a normal RDIS line.......I have been told that I need a 'Broad Band' ASDL...and I approached Telepac who tell me I can have this and will cost either 45 or 75 or a bit more depending on how much infomation I access...Question....
if I use the internet say 3 hours per day (I have Kids ..AAhh) ..which 'DEAL' should I sign up to??...I dont understand this stuff..

Second question.Somebody (In a PUB...!!!) told me I can get a cable connection and pay only 25~30 Euros..and have it on all dayt ???...is this true and if so..where do I go to get this wonderful thing....

Thank you for your advise and excuse me if I sound completely thick...I am ! :roll:
lagermeister

Braodband

Post by lagermeister »

You need to ring PT and see if you have ADSL in your area first, then if so, go to Worten, buy a ADSL modem (Clix, PT, Sabo).

Plug it into you PC, register your details by phone or on-line, wait a few days and they will let you know when it is activated.

The modem costs €50 (approx) and the fee for unlimted use is approx €35 per month.

Happy surfing.
Gambrinus

Post by Gambrinus »

Info:

Time online is not relevant when you purchase ADSL or cable.
Check your contract, there is a set monthly megabyte amount you can download/upload, but this also only becomes relevant if you start doing heavy-duty downloads (films, music, etc) or play online games.

I would suggest downloading a program called Netstat Live by AnalogX to monitor your consumption - if you exceed the set limit, additional megabytes will be debited automatically at a fixed rate (also defined in the contract).

ADSL can also be left on all day - as long as you do not open an internet explorer your PC will sit there happily without consuming those potentially costly megabytes. You can even let outlook check for mails every so often without having to stay by the PC. (Note: Suspend mode will turn the USB adsl-modem off)
chipmunk

asdl

Post by chipmunk »

:) Thank You very much for that information....It is very helpful to me...Rgds