Plant name

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
ceh
CVO Master
CVO Master

Plant name

Post by ceh »

Can anyone tell me the name of the shrub often used as hedging, particularly at the front of properties. It has shiny green leaves and small white flowers. I am told that it is easy to take cuttings and grow from existing plants.

thanks
Ellie
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Ellie »

Hi Ceh,
from your description of shiny foliage it could be Choisya ternata (the Mexican orange blossom) are the white flowers fragrant?These blossom from early spring there,theres one called 'Aztec pearl'
you can take softwood or semi-ripe cuttings.
or possibly a Viburnum?There is one called suspensum that has small white flowers(lightly tinged with pink) also fragrant.From evergreen ones, you can take semi-ripe cuttings,
But maybe its not either....will have to get my thinking cap on with this one....
:)
ceh
CVO Master
CVO Master

Plant name

Post by ceh »

Thanks Ellie for your reply.

The property I've recently bought has this plant all along the front behind a wall and I'd like to be able to give it a name. I've bought a book on Mediterranean gardening but can't find it in the book.......
jeremy
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by jeremy »

Choisya Ternata

Aztec Pearl

Viburnum Suspensum

:wink: :?:
Barry
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Barry »

Think you are referring to Portugal Laurel, Prunus lusitanica, which is known locally as "miopores" or "mioporum". Although rarely seen in the UK it is hardy, and even has an RHS Award of Garden Merit.
Barry
ceh
CVO Master
CVO Master

Plant name

Post by ceh »

Thanks for the replies - I think it is probably Prunus lusitania as it is a bit like laurel but may be Choisya ternata. We will be at the villa at the end of the week (hurrah) so will check it out against the pictures/suggestions.

Caroline
Ellie
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Ellie »

Barry wrote:Think you are referring to Portugal Laurel, Prunus lusitanica, which is known locally as "miopores" or "mioporum". Although rarely seen in the UK it is hardy, and even has an RHS Award of Garden Merit.
Barry
Yes you're right Barry, it is hardy, I have this evergreen in my front garden....you can take sem-ripe cuttings Ceh :)
Pics are great Jeremy! :wink:
Barry
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Barry »

Hi Ellie,
Have assumed that it is easy to take cuttings since it is very inexpensive. A small plant will set you back about 75 cents in the local Portugese garden centres. I bought a few in the autumn to patch up holes in our hedges, and they have taken very rapidly.
Barry
Ellie
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Ellie »

Barry wrote:Hi Ellie,
Have assumed that it is easy to take cuttings since it is very inexpensive. A small plant will set you back about 75 cents in the local Portugese garden centres. I bought a few in the autumn to patch up holes in our hedges, and they have taken very rapidly.
Barry
Hiya Barry,
Blimey, thats very cheap ! :)
D'you know,I can't remember how long Ive had this one(reckon they must grow lot quicker out there?) and have to be honest and say that Ive never taken any cuttings from this plant but maybe I will try this year.

I was sitting in front garden earlier (nice & sunny here today) and its got loadsa flowers on it.
According to me RHS book, it recommends 'heal cuttings' or 4 to 6 inch cuttings from leader or side shoots late summer/autumn.
D'you reckon that would be same in Algarve? or maybe earlier?
I bet your hedge looks good when in flower? :)
cheers ellie
jeremy
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by jeremy »

Prunus Lusitancia
ceh
CVO Master
CVO Master

Plant name

Post by ceh »

Thanks Ellie, Barry and Jeremy for your replies.

The person who used to look after the keys to the property told us, after we'd pruned the very overgrown 'hedge' that we could take cuttings etc. but as she's Swedish we got stuck with the language.

The plan is to extend the hedge and now I know what it is, I can check out how best to do so.
Barry
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Barry »

In reply to Ellie, the small plants are available late Autumn, so probably from cuttings taken late summer, early Autumn. The only problem in Portugal is that the gardeners usually cut the hedges back so hard that they rarely have a chance to flower. We passed an unkempt hedge while walking at the weekend and it was "miopores" in full flower. The scent was so strong that at first I thought it was choisia. We're letting our hedge run to flower before cutting it this year, and it looks much more natural.
Keep gardening :)
Barry
Ellie
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Ellie »

Barry wrote:In reply to Ellie, the small plants are available late Autumn, so probably from cuttings taken late summer, early Autumn. The only problem in Portugal is that the gardeners usually cut the hedges back so hard that they rarely have a chance to flower. We passed an unkempt hedge while walking at the weekend and it was "miopores" in full flower. The scent was so strong that at first I thought it was choisia. We're letting our hedge run to flower before cutting it this year, and it looks much more natural.
Keep gardening :)
Barry
Thank-you for that Barry :)

Thats what annoys me here ( hedge cutting)..the local council come around chopping back hedgerows usually just as the birds start nesting!

and regarding Portuguese cutting hedge back so hard..I remember this happening in the garden I worked (near Porches).....but it was the local authorities, they came along & chopped back a flourishing beautiful hedge there one day (from the road side)..
and when I arrived to do the lawns etc, I found I could 'see right through'! They'd murdered it! :shock:

My Portuguese friends never understood my passion for plants & flowers and were only interested in growing veg :)
would love to see your hedge!
ellie
Barry
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Barry »

Hi Ellie,
Sorry to the rest if this is becoming a dialogue, but sounds like we're both keen gardeners. I think the severe cutting back is to reduce the number of times a hedge needs cutting. Our previous Portugese gardener had the same approach with grass. He would take all the green growth off the lawn, and leave it brown. But it wouldn't need cutting for some weeks! He's now gone, and I have a flexible arrangement with a German gardener who looks after the place when we are back in the UK. Means I have had to buy a lawn mower, but at least I have green grass. We now take much more interest in the Portugese garden and have planted about a dozen trees and shrubs over the last Autumn/Winter. But you are right, our Portugese neighbours must think we're mad. They don't understand gardening as a leisure activity :(
Barry