Post boxes

Share experience regarding ownership of property and/or living in Portugal.
ceh
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post boxes

Post by ceh »

Having finally got the keys to the property that I completed on last month, I have discovered that I have a key to a post box in a group by the side of the road (I'm sure there is a name for these but I don't know it).

Do I need to tell the correios that I have taken it over from the previous owner? Is there a charge for it? Will all my mail arrive there? Is it linked to my post code?

As you can see, this is a complete mystery to me ( and life's too short to ask the solicitor!) so any help appreciated.
Gambrinus

Post by Gambrinus »

Theoretically, your postcode should suffice for the postman to locate your PO Box, but just to be on the safe side, I would go down to the post office and verify that the changes take proper effect.
martin
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by martin »

or try sending a letter to yourself to verify it all works
Farol
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Farol »

When we took over our place we didn't tell the post office and didn't have any problems. As in the UK I would not rely on just the post code - theory is fine but in practice you need the full address.

To help the post man and others I would suggest you make sure that your name and house name/number are on your box. In our development there are clusters of boxes on each street corner and many of them seem totally anonymous so how the correct post gets into the right box seems a matter of pot luck.
ceh
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post boxes

Post by ceh »

Thanks for the replies - I shall try writing to myself to test it out.