Nightlife for teens

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
Tracy x

Nightlife for teens

Post by Tracy x »

Hi,

My sister and I are coming on holiday. We're 17 and 15 but look 19 and 17.

We like noisy bars and dancing. Is there anything to do for us or shall I bring my Harry Potter book and sulk?

Post by Guest »

Tracy,
To be honest depending on the time you've gota be in their is quite a lot to do which could keep you up until 6am ish. Jailhouse, Zeca's, Bote nightclub all open late jailhouse live music for dancing!

Post by Guest »

Don't forget the Safari Bar (karoake if you are very drunk) and to start the evening: Sully's
T H
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Post by T H »

I look forward to partaking in the age old tradition of karaoke in the 2 weeks I will be spending in this fair area in 9 days time, always good for a laugh (at people)
Tracy x

Nightlife for teens

Post by Tracy x »

6:00 am, sounds like my kind-a-place! Not sure about Karaoke though...

Post by Guest »

Yeah i know karoke isn't good especially if u cant sing like my mates and me! When are you going over?
maddi
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maddi »

I enjoy it more when people can't sing - it loses something when it is "paid" or it's only done by people waiting to be discovered (feels like a con then and stops the people who just want to have a go from getting up).

That said karaoke is something best done, new years eve at a house party and never by me :!:

Maddi

Post by Guest »

maddi wrote:I enjoy it more when people can't sing - Maddi
This is true but its when people think they can that it goes drastically wrong :lol:
maddi
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maddi »

. . . and still they audition for Pop Idol . . .
cowboy
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by cowboy »

and win! :lol:

Post by Guest »

hi tracey,wen are you goin im a 18 year old bloke with mates?
alcohol dangers

Post by alcohol dangers »

Not wanting to sound like a typical boring parent, it concerns me that Tracy and sister are both under the legal age for drinking!!!

The reason I am concerned is that European alcohol measurements are certainly stronger, more generous than in UK and I would be very concerned if my daughter who was 15 was on her own drinking in the bars til the early hours of the morning.

It would be reassuring to know whether the bars are aware of young teenagers and the dangers of alcohol, not just to their bodies but also their safety after leaving the bars in the early hours? Carvoeiro is not a risky place but speaking from experience there are people in bars all over the world just watching & waiting to take advantage of young girls & guys who have got drunk and i would like to think bar staff are responsible enough to notice whether the teenagers are at risk?

Finally do have a great holiday but teenagers out there please don't overdo it on the booze - its not cool and it can be dangerous if you are on holiday without any of us boring grownups to look after you when you can't walk in a straight line :wink: :roll:
Graham
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Graham »

Dear Alcohol Dangers,

I am afraid that you are mistaken - the legal drinking age in Portugal is actually 16. You can fight and die for your country in the UK, get married, pay taxes etc, but alcohol - now there's scary stuff. It is because of the UK's taboo attitude to alcohol that we have created a generation that do not respect alcohol, and do not know how to handle it.

I would respectfully suggest that Tracy and her sister will actually be in CVO with their parents - so long as their parents know where they are and when to expect them home then hitting the various bars and clubs of CVO will be a very safe and tame learning experience compared with when they reach the 'magic' 18 and can go to Ibiza etc. on their own where things will be much more 'full on'.

Therefore, I say go for it Tracy and sister, have a ball, learn a few lessons (we all have), let your parents know where you are and when you will be home, and enjoy Carvoeiro.

By they way, I am not sure how this got onto alcohol since Tracy actually said she liked noisy bars with dancing, with no implication that they intended to drink like fish when they got there!

Graham

PS Couldn't resist it - 'I am an 18 year old bloke with mates' - is that the friend variety or the current way of suggesting you practice safe sex :oops:

Post by Guest »

Dear Graham,

I wasnt implying that Tracy and her sister who she says is aged 15 would be getting drunk (other replys mentioned that) but I have yet to meet a teenager in a bar all night just drinking lemonade. I have a 14 yr old girl in the family and she wants some alcohol tho' we restrict it. Our teenagers in the family and their friends do not all go away with their parents at age 16 - certainly wouldnt be a good holiday for our 17yr olds having their parents with them and the parents wouldnt be paying for them anyway :shock: :( I certainly didnt want my parents with me when I was working and went abroad for the first time at 16 to Spain but we weren't sitting in bars either wondering whether our drinks were being spiked.

Sadly times have changed and our teens know they have to have their wits about them especially when they aren't near us oldies!!
Graham
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Graham »

Dear Guest

Thanks for the considered reply - I hope you didn't take any offence. I assumed the parents will be going because I am not sure that a 15 year old would be allowed out without them by the holiday companies, and also Carvoeiro, lovely as it is, would probably not be the first choice if they were selecting the location for themselves.

I think it is a fair point that times have changed, and good advice to watch out for spiked drinks, but I have a feeling that teenagers are probably even more aware of these dangers than we are.

Also sorry to Tracy for turning your request for information into a moral/political discussion !! (I would be very interested in your take on all of this - we parents might learn something!)

Graham