After Brixit

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
Philip Baker
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

After Brixit

Post by Philip Baker »

I assume when we move to PT we will have to register our residence with local council does that mean we give up on Our UK rights We want to live there permanently but be able to come back for medical necessities I will be getting my pensions payed in to UK bank
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: After Brixit

Post by Geoff »

I suggest you look at the UK website on Living In Portugal and register with them for updates. It is pretty comprehensive and will get updated once deal/no deal/whatever is eventually sorted.

See :

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-p ... =immediate
Buddypair
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Buddypair »

You might find Afpop a help as well, we have been living here for four years now and have gone through rather a lot 'paperwork' requirements.
Happy to be of help if you would like.
Geoff knows us both,
Helen & Nigel

www.afpop.com
Philip Baker
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Philip Baker »

Thanks for the reply’s just a worry we won’t be able to stay long term unless we register and that could mean losing out if we want to go back to uk Suppose we won’t really know what to do till Brixit happens
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

In short, it doesn't seem that you can have your cake and eat it...we did wonder about getting Residencia status, but that means registering for Portuguese Tax, having a Portuguese Driving License, getting a Portuguese EHIC card etc ...and being treated a a "foreigner" in UK for NHS etc ( probably can't loose UK tax domicile though).

It will no doubt depend on Brexit to some extent and what " special" arrangements might be made UK/Portugal....there are more Portuguese in UK than Brits in Portugal apparently...and I don't think the Portugese want to loose the income from Brits...but at the moment, it would seem that you could only stay for 90 days out of 180, but it's not clear ( to me) how that is measured, if at all, and whether you then need visas or ???

Shall have to wait & see.
shanagarry
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by shanagarry »

Every time your passport is read by a scanner (airport or seaport) they know where you are. The same applies to the use of a credit/debit card - Big Brother is watching your every move :(
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

Every time your passport is read by a scanner (airport or seaport) they know where you are

...indeed, but if you entered the EU through ( say ) France , drove to Portugal, and drove back via Spain and the Santander ferry, I doubt the systems are that joined up.....yet, anyway ??