A blast from the past

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
steve
CVO Master
CVO Master

A blast from the past

Post by steve »

I found this in my wardrobe the other day. When CVO.com was in it's heyday a few of the regulars used to meet up once a week at the Anteek bar ( now Harry's bar) and subsequently at the restaurant/bar above Algo Seco which use to be run by the guy who now runs Vimar. Visitors were invited to drop in for a drink and a chat and to identify ourselves we had tee shirts made up with our individual user names on them. I wonder how many still survive?
IMG_20181008_165648.jpg
IMG_20181008_165648.jpg (22.79 KiB) Viewed 8915 times
heini
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: A blast from the past

Post by heini »

I don't have the t-shirt, but I used to attend those meetings. It was very nice to meet and chat with the members, whose postings you saw here. Great memories.
roy4eyes
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by roy4eyes »

Aah ! The good old days when we used to talk to each other instead of silently playing with fancy phones :roll:
heini
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by heini »

I so agree, Roy! I am hoping to be in Carvoeiro in March after a very long absence. Can't wait to see all the changes.
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by smudger »

Where do forum members usually enjoy a refreshment these days?
Me?
Depends on whether alone, with wife or friends and whether want a view or people watching!
So, ranges from Harry’s Bar, Hemingway’s, Metabixio, Earth, Atlantic View, Cafe Fino.
ceh
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by ceh »

I don't have a T shirt but I do have a badge - I seem to remember buying it from the ice cream shop by the square
roy4eyes
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by roy4eyes »

People used to say when they were coming to CVO and suggest a meeting place and time - there is no reason why this should not be re-instated.

One problem is parking in town which cuts out most of the places mentioned by smudger.

Rosa's bar in Sesmarias (cheap) and the bars at Monte Carvoeiro (average) are good for locals and visitors with transport but a problem for those just staying in the centre.

Algar Seco has now gone up market as a bistro and doesn't want a few people just drinking beer all night.
CM
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by CM »

The original idea behind the badge was that if you had one on then people from the forum could approach you, also raised a few bob for the orphanage.
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by smudger »

I also use Rosa’s in Sesmarias, as well as Jophil Bar for lunch, lovely bean stew with whelks today. Bread, olives, sardine paste, house dessert, bica and red wine all for €8.50. And free wi-fi.
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by smudger »

smudger wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:43 pm I also use Rosa’s in Sesmarias, as well as Jophil Bar for lunch, lovely bean stew with whelks today. Bread, olives, sardine paste, house dessert, bica and red wine all for €8.50. And free wi-fi.
Went again, choice of the bean stew or roast pork. Had the bean stew again, with coriander rice. Good helping of roast pork delivered to next table. Busy today with party of 16 golfers, much hilarity and think forfeit for breaking a rule was to buy bottle of local brandy for their table!
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

as well as Jophil Bar for lunch, lovely bean stew with whelks today. Bread, olives, sardine paste, house dessert, bica and red wine all for €8.50. And free wi-fi.
Is that sunday only or every day? Never seen a menu there.
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by smudger »

Geoff wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:35 am
as well as Jophil Bar for lunch, lovely bean stew with whelks today. Bread, olives, sardine paste, house dessert, bica and red wine all for €8.50. And free wi-fi.
Is that sunday only or every day? Never seen a menu there.
Weekdays, closes Sat/Sun now I think. I have seen people getting a menu, single sheet of A4.
tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by tricky »

I too had a badge (till it fell off) and had great fun spotting other wearers and working out who they were.
Made lots of friends that way