Parakeets on Vale do Milho

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
carolyn
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Parakeets on Vale do Milho

Post by carolyn »

We were out least week and very surprised to see 5 parakeets land in one of our trees. We presume they are not native? Has anyone else seen them or know where they've come from?
Attachments
Parakeets
Parakeets
parakeets.jpg (92.09 KiB) Viewed 9657 times
Ellie 2
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Re: Parakeets on Vale do Milho

Post by Ellie 2 »

We live in South of England and I almost bought one them about 10 years ago from a breeder in the UK. No, I have never seen them in VDM where we have our house. I would be thrilled to see one or some! When I researched them in UK, they can be very clever and can live a long life. Where are you in VDM. We are coming out next week and would love to think we could see some. We have seen other parakeets with long tails in VDM but from your pictures I think they are called Senegal Parakeets. Very sweet and quiet as far as I remember. In captivity they can be quieter than larger breeds. Here’s hoping I see some next week. They do not travel alone. Wild ones are not or cannot be tamed according to my brief research. How lucky are you to have seen them in the wild!
logicbob
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by logicbob »

I live at the top of VDM and I have seen them for the last two years, in fact one flew down our chimney and got stuck in the log burner. He was one lucky bird because I was there at the time and could let him out.
Elfie
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Elfie »

We also saw them yesterday. 5 of them chattering away in our palm tree and very pretty. I had been trying to find out exactly what they were so thank you!
carolyn
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by carolyn »

Have been on Google to try and identify as they don't look like Senegal Parakeets suggested by 'Ellie 2' (this seems to have a grey head not orange/yellow) I'm wondering if they are "Fischer's Lovebirds" - I have found a mention of them in the Algarve on this forum https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=259764

But I am no expert - so could be wrong.
They were very pretty and colourful - I certainly wouldn't want one down the chimney though logicbob!
Gerry Cullen
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Gerry Cullen »

There was a smallish flock of them In Armacao a couple of years back
, I think a domestic pair escaped and began to breed.

Gerry
Silki
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Silki »

This time of the year there are always quite a few of these beautiful birds in the bushes and trees. Usually about 4 pairs in a flock. Luckily they fly away to other regions before the hunters start putting their bird traps in the trees. I see a lot in the area opposite the Cepsa garage coming into Carvoeiro, up the top of the hill and also on the walks off the Benegil road inland.
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

Latest offering at the VDM restaurant Piri Piri Parakeet, lovely! :roll:
Stevie-C
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Stevie-C »

pato wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:13 pm Latest offering at the VDM restaurant Piri Piri Parakeet, lovely! :roll:
Still at it I see, no bites :?:
Stevie-C
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Stevie-C »

Gerry Cullen wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:37 pm There was a smallish flock of them In Armacao a couple of years back
, I think a domestic pair escaped and began to breed.

Gerry
Must have been pandemonium in that company when all you can hear is a load of prattle 8)
Rampage
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Rampage »

There are many flocks of Green Parakeets where we used to live in Muscat, Oman. Not native and all descended from escaped cage birds. Unlike other types the Greens seem to be extremely adaptable to weather as long as there are adequate food and water sources. Bushy Park in south-west London is full of them, as is the Marbella coast. The ones appearing in the Algarve have probably migrated along the coast from Spain. The Spanish ones probably crossed the Med from north Africa. One house where we lived had two-way mirrored windows. The Parakeets would come to the sills and feed on seeds we left out for them. They could not see us but we could get right up close to photograph them from inside the house. Occasionally one would peck at his own reflection in the window as it looked like a rival was going for the same seed!
wee beanz
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by wee beanz »

Look like lovebirds to me....definitely not senegal parrots...sitting with my senegal on my shoulder as I type :D :D :D
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

How about that eh! two way mirrors, the mind boggles. 8)
destroyer
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by destroyer »

Wind whistles as more tumbleweed blows down the dusty street.