The Roundup

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

The Roundup

Post by smudger »

Comment on another media track mentions 5 or 6 GNR cars parked on the road outside The Roundup last night. Anyone any information on what was going on?
njc0607
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Re: The Roundup

Post by njc0607 »

embarrassingly.... 2 pissed up British (not sure exactly where they were from, but usual brace of crap tattoos spelled incorrectly) idiots fighting over a bar stool..!?!?!? :roll:

both in their 60`s with the families around them including grand children. one tried to glass the other with a broken bottle and went on from there.
people obviously extremely scared and ran out of the building causing chaos in the street.

for me, I would have their passports confiscated and banned form going abroad ever again. scum like this are not welcome...
logicbob
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by logicbob »

Why do people do this sort of thing when on holiday.
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

I've always been amazed at the lack of violence in Cvo it must be one of the safest resorts in the world, I personally have never seen one act of violence in fifty odd years, it's amazing1 :o
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by smudger »

Did the webcam above Metabixo bar not catch a fight originating in Sullys that ended up with a fatal stabbing some 5/6 years ago?
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

logicbob wrote:Why do people do this sort of thing when on holiday.
In a word: DRINK
logicbob
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by logicbob »

e-richard wrote:
logicbob wrote:Why do people do this sort of thing when on holiday.
In a word: DRINK

I agree with you Drink and an Aggressive attitude.
American Pie
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by American Pie »

They are just 'Prats' plain & simple! - I agree, their passports should be taken away from them
algarve123
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by algarve123 »

I would agree that people like this should be dealt with firmly. It is a shame to see this kind of thing happening in Carvoeiro and I wouldn't see it as any reflection of The Roundup as it could have happened in any bar. People like this are likely to cause trouble wherever they go.
We have been coming to Carvoeiro for years time and as others have said have always felt safe and never seen any real trouble. We were over a few times this summer and noticed a slight change in the atmosphere at times with a 'different' crowd than what we are used to in the area. We even experienced some Irish verbal abuse going on from these people and that is something that we never had in Carvoeiro. We like it because it is a place where everyone gets on and there is none of that rubbish. Very disappointing to see people come on holidays and bringing that type of attitude with them. I dont know if this slight shift in the dynamic is due to other usual holiday destinations not being an option for people due to the crap going on around the world that these people are trying places they normally wouldn't go, maybe so.
We love coming to Carvoeiro because it was always a place for us that you could chat to anyone, feel safe and not witness stupid thuggery. Never felt out of place being Irish until we were over a couple of weeks ago and experienced anti Irish bigotry. On one occasion had to listen to three seperate table of louts (male and female with their kids present) be blatantly anti Irish all in one night. Silly behavior and like I said the English ex pats and holiday makers we have experienced in Carvoeiro over the years until this have never been in anyway like this and always been super friendly. We didn't think that kind of stuff still existed but can only put it down to a different from usual crowd trying Carvoeiro this summer.
We will continue to come here but felt dissapointed by this and hope it isnt the start of anything changing with the type of visitor coming to Carvoeiro...we still love the place of course!
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by smudger »

Turns out a chap I chat to in my hometown pub was there the night of the fight. He was at the bar and returning to his table when it all kicked off. I had already given him loads of info on Carvoeiro and he was really looking forward to his first 2 week stay (had been on day trip year ago and decided on longer stay). Overall he and his group loved Carvoeiro despite the incident which he said was the only sign of trouble the whole time. He's already planning his next visit!
Sorry to hear about the bigotry comments, as a Scot have to say never felt threatened or had abusive comments directed towards me. A couple my wife and I occasionally meet up with are from Dublin and haven't said to me about being made unwelcome anywhere.
Shame people can't get on and enjoy the great town/village that is Carvoeiro!! (Don't start that argument again!!- Editor) :lol:
algarve123
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by algarve123 »

Ya i agree smudger. Think it was just a bad bunch that were around. As i said Carvoeiro has always been a place where all sorts get on and are friendly to each other, thats why we love it. Id say it was just a once off and thinking about it, meeting a few bad eggs over the course of a few weeks when over years of coming over we have experienced no negatives is not doing too bad. As i said, we still love the place 8)
destroyer
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by destroyer »

Hi algarve123. Sorry to hear you've been subject to those comments. Unacceptable and certainly not generally part of the Carvoeiro experience. It does cut both ways though. From time to time over the years I've heard far from whispered comments about effing Brits and dirty Brits. I guess it just proves both our nations export ar*es once in a while. Thankfully very few seem to end up in Carvoeiro, which does however make it more of a shock when it happens.
One thing that might cheer you as an Irishman is the special expression I often pick up from German visitors, "nur Englander" (can't find the umlaut key). It's said often in a sort of weary, exasperated way and means, in effect, "only the British", Englander being generally used of the British, rather than the English. I lived in Germany many years ago and, while my German is not what it was, I still understand a fair bit. I hear some pretty prosaic stuff about my lot but I've never heard a German say anything derogatory about Ireland.
My own view is that most people you meet are surprisingly similar when you get down to cases, whatever their nationality. I value goodwill and courtesy and a bit of give and take, and they are virtues that don't carry a passport.
algarve123
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by algarve123 »

Well said destroyer. I agree with you. I think it was a once off bad bunch. I wouldnt fancy hearing anything offensive said about the English either, some of the nicest people we have met over our years going to Carvoeiro are English and the ex-pats living there are always a welcoming bunch!
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

destroyer wrote:Hi algarve123. Sorry to hear you've been subject to those comments. Unacceptable and certainly not generally part of the Carvoeiro experience. It does cut both ways though. From time to time over the years I've heard far from whispered comments about effing Brits and dirty Brits. I guess it just proves both our nations export ar*es once in a while. Thankfully very few seem to end up in Carvoeiro, which does however make it more of a shock when it happens.
One thing that might cheer you as an Irishman is the special expression I often pick up from German visitors, "nur Englander" (can't find the umlaut key). It's said often in a sort of weary, exasperated way and means, in effect, "only the British", Englander being generally used of the British, rather than the English. I lived in Germany many years ago and, while my German is not what it was, I still understand a fair bit. I hear some pretty prosaic stuff about my lot but I've never heard a German say anything derogatory about Ireland.
My own view is that most people you meet are surprisingly similar when you get down to cases, whatever their nationality. I value goodwill and courtesy and a bit of give and take, and they are virtues that don't carry a passport.
Maybe the war has something to do with it eh!
algarve123
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by algarve123 »

Dont mention the war!! :D :D :D