ATMs

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
e-richard

ATMs

Post by e-richard »

Regular visitors cannot help to notice the invasion of dozens of new ATM machines all around. I refer to the colourful machines branded ATM, and not the original Multibanco network.

I have been wondering how they make money and who pays, and so far have discovered that if you insert your UK Sterling credit card or debit card, you'll be charged (probably quite a lot for the transaction as well as a poor exchange), but if you insert a EURO based card whether its from a Portuguese bank (credit or Debit card) or even a currency card that you pre-paid in UK, there are no withdrawal charges.

Hope this helps.
joeysoap
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: ATMs

Post by joeysoap »

To add to that: if you have a Portuguese debit card you can withdraw cash in any eurozone country without incurring charges.
I find the MB machines better as they usually give you €10's and €20's and not just €50's.

Fwiw I have an Irish debit card ( in addition to the Portuguese one) and have to be selective when visiting NI or UK and withdrawing sterling - otherwise I get hit with charges. I can use either in Portugal without charges. I
logicbob
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: ATMs

Post by logicbob »

joeysoap wrote:To add to that: if you have a Portuguese debit card you can withdraw cash in any eurozone country without incurring charges.
I find the MB machines better as they usually give you €10's and €20's and not just €50's.

Fwiw I have an Irish debit card ( in addition to the Portuguese one) and have to be selective when visiting NI or UK and withdrawing sterling - otherwise I get hit with charges. I can use either in Portugal without charges. I

I agree with you on the MB machines.