Tourist killed in Carvoeiro

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
destroyer
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Tourist killed in Carvoeiro

Post by destroyer »

The Algarve Daily News is reporting that a foreign tourist, a woman from Belarus, was killed on Tuesday while swimming off Paraiso beach - the small beach reached by steps from near Mar d'Fora restaurant. The report says she was hit by a tour boat which did not stop.
logicbob
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: Tourist killed in Carvoeiro

Post by logicbob »

Very Sad.
FennsT
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Post by FennsT »

Is that the beach which is used by swimmers who want to reach the caves?
destroyer
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by destroyer »

I don't know I'm afraid. I've been to the beach but haven't swum from there. As you look out to sea it is to the right of the town beach. Access is via steps a little over halfway up the hill leading from the square, past the ice cream parlour up to Monte Carvoeiro.
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

My daughter and children use it a lot as it is less crowded and has great rock pools at low tide. What a shame - surely there must have need witnesses if it was a tour boat.
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by smudger »

Some of the bigger beaches have marker buoys about 50 metres from the shore. Most boat trip captains know not to sail between the buoys and the beach as area reserved for swimmers. Once saw Maritime Police photograph a yacht that sailed into the restricted area no doubt to fine them once they traced the owner through yacht's name.