Faro Airport

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
mixerman
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Re: Faro Airport

Post by mixerman »

if you need to stop a transponder , put a piece of tape over the outside windscreen over the unit , simples !
joeysoap
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by joeysoap »

njc0607 wrote:yes they do follow up...
when you hire, they ask for your credit card. if you use it and don't pay, they charge your card and fine you...

WHY?, you ask.. some people just don't want pay - either out of principal or for financial reasons.

the whole god damn thing is a con anyway.. so I understand not paying.

I always use Travelrent for hire. They do take a CC impress and they do take a €20 deposit, but I always get the €20 and the CC slip handed back on return of the car. I like them because they have reasonable prices, don't make a song and dance of examining the car on return ( I have witnessed other car rental employees examining cars fairly thoroughly)They just ask was the car ok and did you use the motorway. No fuss.
martin.cork
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by martin.cork »

Drove the N125 yesterday morning at 11am... arrived at airport before 12.... my advise is take the A22 if you are under time pressures.
Faro Airport : - In all my 27 years of travelling through Faro Airport this was the worst experience... It took nearly 40 minutes to get through the scanners
which is now upstairs.. no co ordination at all... hundreds of passenger to go through 6 terminals... what is the airport upgrade for ?... it surely is not for passengers,
the old way was by far more efficient (bring back the guy with the glasses who was like a shepard).
On top of all this add check in time, passport control.... the two hours advise to arrive before your flight will not suffice...
Oh yes... the same lengthy lines are in the duty free.... (not enough check outs) and if you are hungry and purchase food from Burger King / Food Hall be prepared
to dine sitting on the floor... One thing for sure is that your food will remain hot as there is no air conditioning .... rant over... you have been warned... give yourself plenty of time...
Outside all this I must say Carvoeiro is fantastic and improves each visit... well done to all involved in making Carvoeiro one of the best places in the world to visit
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

N125 was OK this morning....leaving at 0630...only 1 hold up of a few minutes. Took exactly 1 hour...but then about 10 mins to get fuel!
Disasterous time at Inter Rent...see separate item!
Airport security took 15 mins, but why on earth don't they have more scanners? Only 6 is nonsence. What it will be like on a Saturday in July/August I dread to think.
Then the fun started.....everyone seemed to have to go though the " duty free" but there was only 1 non-till gap a few feet wide for thousands of people!
Soho & the Irish bar next door have vanished, and none of the others did a bacon butty of any sort!...seats were like gold dust.

Passport Control only took about 2 mins though. New Easyjet plane was good, but held up as 2 passengers couldn't make it & had to have their luggage off-loaded...lost in the jams at the airport no doubt. Good job we didn't have luggage.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Sounds like arriving at Faro is not too bad these days, but departures can be horrific.

I suppose the best solution really is just to stay in Carvoeiro till the winter :)
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

I suppose the best solution really is just to stay in Carvoeiro till the winter :)
Excellent idea e-Richard, but could you perhaps moderate the heat a little bit?
thefellon
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by thefellon »

We arrived 13th June 3pm, and no delays through passport control.

We departed 27th June 5pm, and as some body advised used the fast track service for security (2.50 euro) with Ryan Air. The queues didnt look to bad for security, so probably through in less than 30 mins. The fast track is unusual in that you go down a separate aisle, but arrive at the same security checkpoint queue, and they then wave you through to the front of the queue, in front of the others that are already queing. :oops:

Once through security you go through the new part of the building which enventually gets you back to the original duty free shop, which you now have to walk through to get to the original departures area. However half of the departure area is now boarded off, so there is half the space, and some of the shops, irish bar, soho coffee have gone. So it was very busy with alot less seating and the eating places that are left (burger king, subway, pizza place) are very busy. It was also very hot, not sure if the air con has been switch off due to bulding work still going on. The passport queue wasnt to bad when we arrived, but there were 3 flights departing at similar times so the queue built up very fast and snaked round outside of the passport queue into the eating area. At the moment It certainly not a pleasant experience in the departure hall, so hoping it will be finished when we come back later on in the year.

We use the toll road to get to the airport and didnt experience any delays getting to/from the aiport. The only delay is the long walk to P4 to pick up the car hire.
ceh
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by ceh »

We flew back to Gatwick from Faro on Tuesday 4 July and having allowed an extra half hour, sailed straight through security without queuing, trekked our way via duty free etc then were less than impressed by the food outlets and seating. We flew back with Monarch and got called to the gate really early, no queue at passports and at least we got seats at the gate. Better that the experience at Easter
alanr
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by alanr »

We are coming out in about 4-5 week's time, with two young children. Does anyone know when the building work is due to finish and return to a degree of normality? If such a thing exists.

The posts seem to indicate the main issues revolve around departure/return journeys rather than arrivals. Is that the case?
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

The posts seem to indicate the main issues revolve around departure/return journeys rather than arrivals. Is that the case?
That's what we found....when you arrive, you aren't bothered by security checks nor finding somewhere to eat/sit down : just the passport control, which looked bad but only took about 5 mins. We didn't have luggage to collect though!
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by smudger »

Geoff wrote:
That's what we found....when you arrive, you aren't bothered by security checks nor finding somewhere to eat/sit down : just the passport control, which looked bad but only took about 5 mins. We didn't have luggage to collect though!
Agree Geoff, arrival is usually OK apart from the Passport Control, especially if 2 or 3 flights arrive close together!!

Back out early August with family, will be prepared to welcome them back if they miss their flight home a week later. Liked earlier comment about staying until winter!
roy4eyes
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by roy4eyes »

The President is performing the opening/completion ceremony for the airport on Monday so from then onwards there will be no more problems/delays for you lucky holidaymakers :roll:
dennisg
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by dennisg »

roy4eyes wrote:The President is performing the opening/completion ceremony for the airport on Monday so from then onwards there will be no more problems/delays for you lucky holidaymakers :roll:
I wish I could believe that!
Tony Knight
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Tony Knight »

I know it's early days yet, but has anybody got new comments to make about the situation at Faro Airport after the official opening last Monday. Two parties of my family fly in, one on Wednesday 2nd August from Birmingham and ourselves on Friday 4th August from Gatwick. We were quite concerned after reading a number of postings about the issues at the airport and fervently hope that things have improved.

Tony Knight
tommy tunstall
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by tommy tunstall »

Flew back from Faro Sunday morning the 23rd. It took over an hour to clear Security and Passport check. Big snaking queues of people to get through security. The problem is afterwards when you are directed dow a narrow route for all UK flights, it was packed and no Air con as usual, you eventually down some stairs come to Passport check. Please give yourself plenty of time and if you can get water.