Faro Airport

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
roy4eyes
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: Faro Airport

Post by roy4eyes »

The reports in the Airport section of www.airlinequality.com make interesting (=depressing !!) reading for those coming to the Algarve this summer :(
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by smudger »

roy4eyes wrote:The reports in the Airport section of http://www.airlinequality.com make interesting (=depressing !!) reading for those coming to the Algarve this summer :(
Does not make good reading at all! We, as a 9 family group are coming over beginning August.............here's hoping airport management have plan in place to deal with peak season!!
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

We arrived yesterday : passport queues looked long, but only took 6 mins.

Waisted a lot of time with Inter-rent , and even more on N125 : lots of roadworks meant journey time 1.5 hours...biggest hold-up was getting into Lagoa!
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

Would you be better using the motorway? We use it & usually fly through & the cost is minimal. It takes about 35/40 minutes from door to door.
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

Would you be better using the motorway?
Probably...never had that problem before though.
njc0607
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by njc0607 »

another piece of advice... if you are travelling to the airport on the N125 - add at least another 1-2 hours onto your journey. there are road works all along it.
I came back from Faro yesterday, on the motorbike and being able to pass stationary cars, it still took well over an hour to get to CVO.
if you set off in your "normal" time schedule, - you will miss your flight !
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

I have to ask WHY use the N125 when the motorway (A22) is a predictable 45 minutes and costs less than €3 each way.

WHY ?
joeysoap
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by joeysoap »

e-richard wrote:I have to ask WHY use the N125 when the motorway (A22) is a predictable 45 minutes and costs less than €3 each way.

WHY ?

If you rent from travelrent ( and many of us do) it costs €20 to use the motorway. You get the €20 back when you leave the car back and tell them you didn't use the motorway. If you use it at all you lose the €20.
cereza
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by cereza »

Since the motorway toll was introduced there must have been hundreds of people who used the motorway on their way home who could not and did not pay the toll to Faro airport - I have never heard of anyone in a hire car being chased for that unpaid toll - has anybody heard of such a follow up ?
Farol
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Farol »

I thought that by default all rental cars at the airport now had transponders as part of an agreement between their trade association and the authorities and that they all charge the 20 euro fee so ducking late charges is no longer possible unless you were to shield the transponder.

In the winter I used the N125 while the roadworks were suspended but as soon as they restarted I was happy to pay the 20 euro and use the motorway for the peace of mind in terms of journey time.
njc0607
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by njc0607 »

yes they do follow up...
when you hire, they ask for your credit card. if you use it and don't pay, they charge your card and fine you...

WHY?, you ask.. some people just don't want pay - either out of principal or for financial reasons.

the whole god damn thing is a con anyway.. so I understand not paying.
cereza
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by cereza »

But is the position still the same that you can't pay until 3 days after use meaning it is impossible for anyone returning home?
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

I understand that people may choose not to pay money to the rip-off rental companies.
However, where that potentially means missing your flight or leaving 2 hours earlier than you need to I sometimes question the economics and principles.

:idea: HINT: If you visit frequently (do your own sums to determine how often) you should consider getting your own transponder. Ask in the Post Office for an "anonymous" transponder. This can be moved from car to car and it works on a PAYG basis (just like a mobile phone SIM). You can top up at the Post Office or any other pay shops. If you have a Portuguese bank account you can top up online and you can always review your credit online at any time.

Last time I checked the transponder costs a one off €27.00 and then tolls are deducted without any problems or surcharges. Its only €2.95 from Airport to Lagoa; even cheaper if you come off at Alcantarilha (€2.15), so the transponder will pay for itself over just 2 trips.
Farol
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Farol »

e-richard wrote:If you visit frequently (do your own sums to determine how often) you should consider getting your own transponder. Ask in the Post Office for an "anonymous" transponder. This can be moved from car to car and it works on a PAYG basis (just like a mobile phone SIM). You can top up at the Post Office or any other pay shops. If you have a Portuguese bank account you can top up online and you can always review your credit online at any time.
How do you stop the one fitted by the rental firms bleeping as well?
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

Farol wrote:
e-richard wrote:If you visit frequently (do your own sums to determine how often) you should consider getting your own transponder. Ask in the Post Office for an "anonymous" transponder. This can be moved from car to car and it works on a PAYG basis (just like a mobile phone SIM). You can top up at the Post Office or any other pay shops. If you have a Portuguese bank account you can top up online and you can always review your credit online at any time.
How do you stop the one fitted by the rental firms bleeping as well?
A hammer works quite well. 8)