Faro Airport

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: Faro Airport

Post by tricky »

Was feeling quite optimistic when managed to get through security in 10 minutes even though a very large line. But then hit disaster at passport control. The queue started at duty free snaked round to all the new food outlets came back again before getting into the actual main queue, In all it took 40 minutes. The worse thing is, although the airport is improving and the security sections are bigger there doesn't seem to be any allocation for more security booths. Allow at least 2 hours before your flight and that's if you have checked in on line
carolyn
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by carolyn »

We travelled yesterday Saturday 6th May and were in the airport from 3-5pm. No problems at all either with bag drop, security or passports, in fact some of the shortest queues we have ever seen at this time of year. We were on the 5;20 EJ to Luton
Guess its a matter of how many flights are going out.
djprescott
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by djprescott »

We arrived at Faro on 25 April at about 1400 and returned on 4 May for a 1115 flight and didn't experience any problems on both days. I am glad we used the A22 though as someone said it took them over 1.5 hours to get to the airport from CVO!
mug
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by mug »

We flew from Faro this afternoon at 3.30. The main road where the A22 joins with the 125 was slow due to road resurfacing work and single file traffic.
At the airport there were long queues through the upper floor security area. It took us 40 minutes.However we were in the line next to the edge of the balcony which leads to the same checkpoint as those who had paid for fast track! Avoid this queue OR better still pay the 3 euro that Ryanair charge and speed through. The departure area was much reduced in size and very crowded. We heard many stories of problems for passengers.
From what others have said this doesn't happen all the time but don't take any chances!
cabinscooter
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Post by cabinscooter »

We have been visiting the Algarve for 45 years now and in the last 30 of these years, the bugbear of the holiday has always been Faro Airport. What ever changes they make, it never seems to have enough capacity. We always travel out of high season( November - April) but always find the same situation. I dread to think what it must be like during the high season.
The most recent visit (April 2017) we endured the present construction work but hope that these changes will smooth things out for a few years at least.
Alan
Farol
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Farol »

We flew back to England on Saturday.

The N125 has loads of roadworks again so my advice is use the motorway.

The new Security Control at the airport was fine even though the airport was packed - we were through in less than 5 minutes. The general departure hall was packed with lots of hot tired people and no seats.

To get to Passport Control (for gates B&D) you now have to go through the Duty Free Shop (but this is not signposted).

There was nobody in front of us at passport control so we went straight through and then waited airside for our gate to be announced. There was plenty of seating there and if you need a coffee there is Costas.

We were on Easyjet and for the first time in several years departed from a "D" gate and were bused to the plane which was a long way from the terminal building. This was not handled well as the buses carrying general passengers arrived at the plane before the wheelchair passengers so we all had an extended wait in the steaming hot buses.

Looking through the windows from the departure gates to the in-bound passport control area it looks as though they have just changed that in the last few days. There was a large queue that went backwards & forwards across the hallway at 90 degrees to how it used to be. Might have been temporary - couldn't really make it out.
njc0607
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by njc0607 »

dropped off the in-laws last week.. one word to describe current situation - QUEUES !

and be warned. the last car park, opposite arrivals is for pass holders only. I got there and it would not give me a ticket etc... I got out of the car to try and figure it out etc. another 3 cars pulled up behind me.. one guy eventually got out and told me it was pass holders only - NO SIGNS whatsoever about it.. then came the delightful task, of getting everyone to reverse, so I could get back out from the barrier.
you then have to drive all the way round the one way system, to get back to arrivals or the next car park....

second word to describe car parking, lack of signs, dropping off, picking, up checking in, security etc.. would be - PATIENCE.
:D
Tony Knight
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Tony Knight »

I have read a number of postings about the delays at Faro Airport. Has anybody used the online checking and priority boarding facility with Monarch, and if so, do these extras make any difference. We shall be flying from Gatwick early August. Any responses would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Tony
Mike Burton
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Mike Burton »

Returned home today. Had no problems whatsoever at Faro airport. They appeared extremely well prepared this morning and we were quickly through all systems
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by smudger »

My wife arriving Friday morning. She had gone back 10 days ago and departures was very busy. I was in Faro at the top of the cathedral and could watch plane after plane depart, must have been about 8 departures in 20 minutes, no wonder departures was busy! Everybody there at the same time!
As for tomorrow, I await her arrival.............gin and tonic will be poured and ready for her, just in case!!
sue2215
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by sue2215 »

Returned home to the UK yesterday morning. Through security no problem at all. However passport control was very chaotic, a massive queue not very well organized at all. Back to cold wet weather, miss those blue skies!
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by smudger »

smudger wrote:My wife arriving Friday morning. She had gone back 10 days ago and departures was very busy. I was in Faro at the top of the cathedral and could watch plane after plane depart, must have been about 8 departures in 20 minutes, no wonder departures was busy! Everybody there at the same time!
As for tomorrow, I await her arrival.............gin and tonic will be poured and ready for her, just in case!!
At the airport for my wife's arrival (a surprise) and the arrivals hall once collected baggage was very busy. Could see from arrivals board there were many flights all arriving close together, didn't help wife's flight was 25 minutes early. Wife's comment? New passport control area was the headache. We leave end of month......not looking forward to that.......or the experience at Faro airport :wink:
Alison
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Alison »

Took only 1 hour yesterday from dropping our car off in P1 to getting through bag drop, security and then passport control - we considered that pretty good. The departure hall after security was chaos but everything moved quickly. Also had no delay when we arrived 10 days ago.

Problem now is the roadworks on the road out from the airport causing long traffic jams - according to friends who arrived this afternoon and we saw this too on our return to the airport yesterday.
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by smudger »

Departure today, 11 am flight. 25 minutes to get through security, 10 minutes to get through Passport Control.

Friends left Saturday, took them well over an hour to get to departure gate. Their daughter left Friday, took her 15 minutes!!
madaboutangling
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by madaboutangling »

Left from Faro airport this afternoon. Checked in before. Took 45 minutes. Would be quicker if all the security machines were manned. Not too bad in all.