Faro Airport

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
djprescott
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: Faro Airport

Post by djprescott »

Flew into Faro on 11 July and back home on 20th July and no problems whatsoever on either time. Checked in at 1545 on 20th and we were through into the departure lounge by 1612. I know it was 1612 as that is when I got the email from Monarch informing me the flight was re-scheduled!! :wink:
njc0607
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by njc0607 »

Update... as of today.

its still not finished... there were even dumper trucks inside the main check in area... they are still building shops and the middle main entrance is closed off.

dropping off my wife, about 30 people in front of us for check in.. still took over 30mins... then the guy said security was bad, due to the extra checks.

he was right - 45mins to get through !

this by the way, was at 4pm in the afternoon, and not the crazy mornings...

make sure you leave enough time this summer folks :wink:
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

Bearing in mind it's difficult to buy even a cup of coffee in Portugal without seeing signs of " We have a complaints book", can't say that I have ever seen such signs at Faro airport...if they had one, think it would be quite full by now!
alanr
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by alanr »

Can anyone give an update on the latest position re passport control/security etc. We are coming out on Saturday with two young children in our party and returning home two weeks later. We have friends who have just come back from Spain and told us they have relaxed the passport checks for the holiday period and are waving people through due to the horrendous queues. Anything similar in Faro?

Is there any sign of the building work being completed (even though it must be at least 4 weeks after the official opening!)

Any news would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Alanr
Colana
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Colana »

I arrived on Sunday and though it was busy we were through passport control in about 10 minutes ... the airport still has a lot of work going on but it's user friendly and everything is well sigposted.

Pity it all came to a standstill at the YOR desk where I waited for almost an hour in searing heat to pick up my car with only 2 people in front of me.
logicbob
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by logicbob »

Colana wrote:I arrived on Sunday and though it was busy we were through passport control in about 10 minutes ... the airport still has a lot of work going on but it's user friendly and everything is well sigposted.

Pity it all came to a standstill at the YOR desk where I waited for almost an hour in searing heat to pick up my car with only 2 people in front of me.

What was the problem?
Colana
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Colana »

Hi Logicbob,

The problem was YOR. 2 boys on duty and one was permanently on the 'fetch the car' run, so only one behind the desk, filling out the interminable paperwork even though they have all your details already. A couple of years ago they did start to fill out the forms in advance of your arrival, but that brainwave lasted about 3 months.

I have started to use other rental companies in the past year, all located in air conditioned offices within the airport complex, because they were coming in cheaper than Steen.

I had to come over here on Sunday at short notice and YOR was the cheapest .. cheaper than booking through Steen.
logicbob
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by logicbob »

Colana wrote:Hi Logicbob,

The problem was YOR. 2 boys on duty and one was permanently on the 'fetch the car' run, so only one behind the desk, filling out the interminable paperwork even though they have all your details already. A couple of years ago they did start to fill out the forms in advance of your arrival, but that brainwave lasted about 3 months.

I have started to use other rental companies in the past year, all located in air conditioned offices within the airport complex, because they were coming in cheaper than Steen.

I had to come over here on Sunday at short notice and YOR was the cheapest .. cheaper than booking through Steen.
That is surprising normally Steen is cheaper than YOR.
djprescott
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by djprescott »

When I came out in July I had about a half hour wait for the car at YOR but that was because the 2 people in front of me was taking an age and asking daft questions!

I have been using YOR car hire through the website since 2003 and I have always wondered why they don't fill in the paperwork prior to picking up the car! Is it something to do with not paying for the rental till you arrive?
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

and I have always wondered why they don't fill in the paperwork prior to picking up the car! Is it something to do with not paying for the rental till you arrive?
We're wandering of Faro airport a bit, but just to say that Travelrent ask you to fill out a form with all your details....just the once : when you book again, just give them your name, dob and flight times and it's all ready when you arrive . Saves time.
logicbob
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by logicbob »

djprescott wrote:When I came out in July I had about a half hour wait for the car at YOR but that was because the 2 people in front of me was taking an age and asking daft questions!

I have been using YOR car hire through the website since 2003 and I have always wondered why they don't fill in the paperwork prior to picking up the car! Is it something to do with not paying for the rental till you arrive?

I would not think so most company's once you have registered with them automatically pull down your details. At least the company's that I use do.
jimmyp
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by jimmyp »

Morning all

Travelled back through Faro last night. Check in really easy, security very quiet, same with passport control. However once through to the food court it was not nice. Very little seating and a small area. Then the workmen started with the drills and you could hardly hear yourself think. spoke to the guy running the bar and he thought there was a couple of months work to go before it was finished. It will be interesting to see what the final result is as what has been finished off is really rather nice!
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by smudger »

Travelled back this morning.
Unusually we checked one bag in and took 30 minutes in the Jet2 queue, didn't help person in front of us at desk had excess baggage and couldn't make up their mind what to do!
Security took 25-30 minutes then straight through Passport Control.
Tony Knight
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Tony Knight »

We have just returned from a pleasant two weeks in Sesmarias. We allowed nearly 3 hours for our return journey to Faro Airport in case there were delays with check-in, passport control and security (as mentioned in previous postings). We were impressed on entering the new part of the terminal, and fortunately, didn't experience any long delays - in fact it was well organised and controlled by courteous staff. However, on entering the food hall in the departure lounge we were met with long queues at the food outlets and very little seating in the lounge itself. We had to spend our time sitting on the tiled floor before going through the departure gate. Oh, and if you are flying by Monarch and have paid extra for priority checking in and boarding, be aware, these arrangements work well at Gatwick, but unfortunately, are non existent at Faro. Yes, we had an early call to the desk but then had to scramble to get on the coach taking you to the aircraft. Once there, boarding was just as chaotic.

Tony Knight
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

Arrived at Faro on tuesday, no hold-ups though lot of work still going on....landed,picked up luggage and car and off in <1 hour. Can't get much better.