Contribution to GNR

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
TGM
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Contribution to GNR

Post by TGM »

We decided to go to Ponto De Encontro for early lunch yesterday, tried to turn left after Vimar on the usual route, but found road blocked? So went back down restuarant hill and turned up past the Market to head back round to the restuarant. Again the road was blocked off so went further on and made several attempts to get through all to no avail. So heading back I thought I wonder where the road is actually blocked and thought that perhaps I could reach my target without encountering any obstacles. So I went past the signs which said " diversions except residents" after some distance, I met up with constable plod or plods (GNR) as there were three of them. I was asked where I was going and why had not I seen the sign, I explained and he asked where I was staying, again I answered politely. He then asked for my passport and driving license which I supplied, then he said he would have to fine me for not " Respecting the sign " I wondered why it took three of them but the others were soon in action collecting fines from other vehicles coming from the opposite direction.

25 Euros lighter I asked, why there were not any signs directing traffic where to go? He said it was not his job and that he only enforced them and stopped traffic getting through. I asked which way to get to the restuarant and he directed me further on and eventualy we reached Ponto De Enconto which was not yet open, but found people setting up for a birthday party of about 20 people. Not ideal for a quiet lunch so we left and went to Vimars. So if any one comes across such signs beware it will cost you 25 Euros not like in the UK where you just meet the road works or not as the case may be and then you have to turn around or whatever .
Allenshouse
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Re: Contribution to GNR

Post by Allenshouse »

Really sorry to hear about your problem yesterday.

We too encountered the road closures on the ADM.

After a few diversions we encountered the GNR and they beckoned us to them.

They were courteous and once we explained we were staying at Quinta Polaris they shared their joke about the area being a suburb of Beruit!

We walked to the restaurant and the large birthday party added to the atmosphere and apart from a joyous rendition of Molly Malone they were quite restrained. Certainly it would be no reason not to enjoy the food, service and incredible value of Ponte De Encontro.

My suggestion is that if you encounter the GNR, and you perhaps shouldn't be there, say that you are staying at Quinta Polaris.

Hope this hasn't spoils your time here.
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: Contribution to GNR

Post by smudger »

Sounds like a contribution to the local GNR Christmas Party Night.
Not aware of UK Police fining drivers for ignoring temporary 'Diversion' signs..........oops may have given someone in Police Scotland an income stream! :wink: