Fish cataplana recommendations

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
destroyer
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Fish cataplana recommendations

Post by destroyer »

Looking for recommendations in town. Have eaten the cataplana at Jota Lita, which was good, but my research seems to be pointing at Casa Palmeiras as the one to beat in Carvoeiro itself (rather than the surrounding area as I prefer not to drive). Any views on this restaurant's offering, or other recommendations, would be appreciated.
Thanks.
bruce
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: Fish cataplana recommendations

Post by bruce »

We have had the one at A Gale which was very tasty.
John Burgess
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by John Burgess »

Booth asre super you cloldent go wrong at either place
destroyer
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by destroyer »

Thank you both. Over next week and, on the basis that I imagine it will probably have the better atmosphere at this time of year, will give A Gale a go.
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

Chef Antonios offers the most amazing Fishermans Cataplana ever- however it is not with rice - it comes in a large cataplana with huge king prawns, normal prawns, clams, green lipped mussels, cod, salmon, monkfish, dorada with onion, sweet peppers etc in a delicious soup, heavy on saffron and garlic- Beware - dont eat the potatoes - you'll never finish the huge bowl if you do! Its €14 - dont have a starter!

He also does a monkfish and prawn cataplana which is with rice - also very good €13

If you are in Ferragudo the best I've had there was at O'Barril in the square (or in the alley behind)a huge container of traditional fish/seafood cataplana in a rice base, we ordered for 2 and three of us couldnt eat it all.
destroyer
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by destroyer »

Thanks for that maccasa. Only there for four nights and problem now is I want to try all of them! :D
dennisg
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by dennisg »

John Burgess wrote:Booth asre super you cloldent go wrong at either place
Was that one alcoholic?
logicbob
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by logicbob »

dennisg wrote:
John Burgess wrote:Booth asre super you cloldent go wrong at either place
Was that one alcoholic?

Must have been.
destroyer
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by destroyer »

Just for info for those people who kindly offered their recommendations, we opted for Chefe Antonio. Fisherman's cataplana now €15 and was served without small prawns at our visit. I enjoyed it but can't say I was bowled over. My brother, however, something of a seafood aficionado, was very impressed. First visit to this restaurant after nearly twenty years coming to Carvoeiro, and I'll be back. Met Antonio, who is clearly something of a character, and also the older waiter. Didn't catch his name but he, and all the staff, were very pleasant. Nice ambience and killer almond tart.
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

Im glad you enjoyed it - I think the lack of small prawns may be a seasonal thing - I gues you had the big ones on the top? and lots of clams?
destroyer
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by destroyer »

I think you're right about the small prawns. Quite like that though - they could quite easily have dropped a few Iceland jobs in, but kept it authentic. There was indeed a huge prawn in there. Could have passed for a lobster at a distance.

A nice experience at Chefe Antonio. I don't know why we've never visited before. We certainly wouldn't have gone hungry on just the cataplana, but the almond tart was calling. My tum went before me this holiday I'm afraid - saw very little of my feet from the standing position. Oddly enough, I don't eat half as much at home - I think the food there is just too tempting.

Thanks again for the recommendation.
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by smudger »

Agree with maccasa, O'Barrill in Feragudo worth a visit, even for their lunch time special menu.
madaboutangling
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by madaboutangling »

Agree with O Barril recommendation. Excellent lunch deal and enjoyed Catalana on another visit.
destroyer
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by destroyer »

I do know O Barril and have really enjoyed their piri piri. Wanted a place that didn't involve driving, but will put them on the cataplana visit list for future reference! :D
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

Maybe it's just me but I always feel it's made from leftovers from other main meals, but I suppose that's just my suspicious mind eh! :D