Boat trip

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
destroyer
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Boat trip

Post by destroyer »

Hello all,
I'm over for a few days later this month with my brother. He's only visited the Algarve once, for my daughter's wedding, and I'm trying to put together a bit of an informal itinerary.
Does anyone know if the cave trips from the town beach are likely to be on and, if so, what they cost? I'd hoped to do the Portimao - Silves trip but as far as I can tell from the internet that doesn't start until later in the year. In passing, we used to use a small boat for that trip skippered by a British bloke who'd spent most of his life in Africa, and with a really nice German woman providing a bit of a commentary and dealing with the refreshments. It's been some years since we saw them and I wonder if that rings a bell with anyone who might have contact details, if they are still operating.
Last over in November so looking forward to my Carvoeiro fix.
Any assistance appreciated.
Thanks
Raithstar
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Re: Boat trip

Post by Raithstar »

Sure it cost €25 for the longer trip that goes to Benagil Cave or €20 for shorter trip . Not sure if they are operating just now but I'm out there from next Tues , I will check and update unless someone that knows posts a response .
destroyer
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by destroyer »

Many thanks.
bugsey
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by bugsey »

Boats from the beach have started.
madaboutangling
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by madaboutangling »

The trip from Carvoeiro along to Benagil is really good. Another is to go to Lagos and take the Bpm Dia boat along the coast to see the unusual cliff formations. The company I know that does the Alvor to Silves trip is Alvor Boat Trips (Luis). Enjoy!
destroyer
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by destroyer »

Thank you shipmates. One way or another it looks like we'll be taking to the briney!
carolyn
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by carolyn »

The 'British bloke' is called Peter and we think he now works for Dolphin Tours - his mobile number is +351965140400 email peter@portimao.com
Saw him last year on on Alvor promenade advertising trips. Does a variety of trips so sure he would be happy to have your business.
We have been with him many times over the years and have always had an interesting trip.
destroyer
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by destroyer »

Thank you, Carolyn. I'm awful with names but felt sure someone would know him.
destroyer
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by destroyer »

Just in case it's helpful to anyone else, we ended up doing the trip to Silves on [url]http://river-caves-sea-trips.com/[/url]

Cost was €20 reserved in advance by e.mail with Antonio. Learned on the boat that some people had paid €25 at the quayside booth in Portimao but luckily a mutiny was averted. Had fancied a smaller boat (although, as it turned out, the boat was smaller than I'd imagined - probably twenty passengers), but Luis's trip only gave us an hour in Silves on the day we wanted to go, whereas this was an hour and a half. We liked the look of Alvor Boat Trips' solar powered boat but only offering trip with lunch that day (€50) and we wanted to eat piri piri in Silves. Have done the sunset cruise with them on that same boat and it was a great experience. However, travelling this time with my brother and we both felt a romantic evening with champagne and strawberries was not in the spirit of this particular trip, and might unsettle the other passengers.

Booked the caves trip with Luis at Ferragudo Boat Trips but sea conditions meant it was cancelled. However, very pleasant dealing with Fiona and given notice by her on the morning of the trip, so no problems at all. Hope to give that one a go when we're next over.