April Visit - worth it?

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
Ceepeebee
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

April Visit - worth it?

Post by Ceepeebee »

Hi all

It's that time of year where we start planning our annual pilgrimage to Carvoeiro aKa our second home! However this year sees us without the big budget, and unable to pay the flight prices of high season so we were looking towards the end of April.

According to the whether gauge, we'd only be looking at like 15 degrees - we're wondering whether it would be worth it when we're used to come over in July.

After your thoughts on this as we'd be staying at Monte Dourado rather than getting a Villa (again - money!)
sunman
CVO Master
CVO Master

Re: April Visit - worth it?

Post by sunman »

it's a coin flip to be honest, Easter can be either glorious or wet & wild & is completely unpredictable; we used to tell folks to visit May 1/2 term to virtually guarantee good weather although a small number of those were rough too,
how about letting that half term go and come late May/ early June, cheaper & a lot quieter than July & August, and actually preferable in my view; same deal early to mid September,
good luck whatever you do.
algarve123
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by algarve123 »

As 'sunman' says correctly, it can be hit and miss and certainly no guarantee of fine weather. Having said this we have been to Carvoeiro at all times of the year and on many occasions find April to be quite good.

Out of all the Aprils that we have been there we have been lucky enough to have 80-90% of really nice weather.
As i said, nothing guaranteed but I would be happy to risk it. In fact we will be there in April so I hope the weather is great!

Enjoy your holiday whatever time you decide and always remember: it doesn't rain in the bars :D
tomgibson
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by tomgibson »

Personally I would say you would be fine. We have been out at varying times of the year over the last 20 years or so and have found it a very pleasant time of the year to go. Not too hot and no crowds. Not quite the time for sun worshippers but generally you can still sit outside in the sun enjoying a beer or two.
Ceepeebee
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Ceepeebee »

Thanks for the info guys.

Unfortunately I doubt we can get there any other time due to holidays/work commitments and cost this year but I just don't want to go a year without setting foot in CVO!

I'll chat to the missus who is loathe to be anywhere that's not sunny, and we'll see!

Ta!
TGM
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by TGM »

We normally visit in November or March and weather is always good without the blistering heat of summer and there are no crowds.
Having been over Last November for 16 nights, we are now booked to arrive on the 19th. March for 21 nights.

Weather is always good, yes you might get the odd shower or even a heavy downpour which we had last Nov, but they don't seem to last very long and then the sun is back out.

Have a look at the long term forecast for April.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/pt/carvoe ... r=4/1/2017

I don't know where you got the 15 Degrees C from, it is much more likely to be 20 to 23, good luck and enjoy your visit.
Farol
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by Farol »

The following link should show you the actual weather for the last 12 months as recorded at the official weather station in Carvoeiro:

http://meteofonteslitoral.cm-lagoa.pt/g ... -anual.php

The temperature graph shows the daily range so you can see both typical daytime maxima and also how chilly it might get at night. You can also see how wet the different months are.

As it records actuals it is by far a better guide than either forecasting sites or opinions.
sunman
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sunman »

Farol wrote:The following link should show you the actual weather for the last 12 months as recorded at the official weather station in Carvoeiro:

http://meteofonteslitoral.cm-lagoa.pt/g ... -anual.php

The temperature graph shows the daily range so you can see both typical daytime maxima and also how chilly it might get at night. You can also see how wet the different months are.

As it records actuals it is by far a better guide than either forecasting sites or opinions.
interesting charts, helpful, but I'm sticking to my earlier opinion of coin flip; we've been coming since 1984 & lived in Cvo for an 11 year stretch; family used to visit us each Easter with the kids; wives & kids tried to hit the beach, us guys hit the golf courses; one year it started raining the day they landed and stopped the day they left :( , most years was a mix of good & bad, a couple of years it was wall to wall sunshine 8)
Raithstar
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Raithstar »

Will be hotter than 15 that's for certain . I was out last week for a few days and it was 17 on the Sunday and Monday actually managed to get a bit sunburnt on the Sunday . We are out end of April for 10 nights .
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by smudger »

Raithstar wrote:Will be hotter than 15 that's for certain . I was out last week for a few days and it was 17 on the Sunday and Monday actually managed to get a bit sunburnt on the Sunday . We are out end of April for 10 nights .
At my gaff the now near Gramacho golf. Had to come inside for a cold beer as roasting outside. Lovely clear blue sky. 8) 8)
Raithstar
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Raithstar »

smudger wrote:
Raithstar wrote:Will be hotter than 15 that's for certain . I was out last week for a few days and it was 17 on the Sunday and Monday actually managed to get a bit sunburnt on the Sunday . We are out end of April for 10 nights .
At my gaff the now near Gramacho golf. Had to come inside for a cold beer as roasting outside. Lovely clear blue sky. 8) 8)[/quote

lovely grey skies and refreshing rain here :D :D just away to put the heating on .