Our first visit :)

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
Alison
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Re: Our first visit :)

Post by Alison »

Welcome to Carvoeiro and the forum!

Having a hire car is the best way to easily explore the wonderful coastline and countryside around Carvoeiro but if that really isn't for you then by all means use buses. The coastal walks really are stunning but best done early in the morning in July before it gets too hot. We often cheat if we don't want to walk both ways eg from Carvoeiro to Caneiros beach (takes 2+ hours ) depending on how quickly you get up and down the various gorges en route) we get the cafe/restaurant there to ring for a taxi back for us (cost less than 10 euros). One of our favourite coastal walks (for the spectacular rock formations) is from Marinha beach to Benagil beach (around 40 mins) or walk further further west to Rocha Brava or even right back to Carvoeiro if you're really keen. Again you might need to get taxi to the Marinha end if bus doesn't go frequently enough.

For a different view of the countryside take the local train from Estombar (nearest station to cvo) along the coast to Lagos and maybe take a boat out to see seals from there.

Echo the recommendation for a boat trip from Portimao up the river to Silves and I think they will even arrange to pick you up from cvo if needs be. But the best boat trip is the one in a small boat out from cvo beach (also from Benagil beach) which goes in and out of the coastal caves in calm weather.

Hope you have a great first time in cvo!
Andy & Wendy
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Andy & Wendy »

Wow !! So many great responses on here.
Those coast walks and boat rides sound perfect too !

We really can't wait !!
joeysoap
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by joeysoap »

Alison, can I ask where you start the walk in Carvoeiro to Caneiros? We would be interested in this one.

We regularly walk the cliffs to Tivili and on to Centianes (the last bit by road to the steps down to the beach), and have walked the cliffs from Carvalho to Benagil. The walk from Marinho to Albandeiro is terrific (very easy on first walk to take a wrong turn on the gorgeous beach that's allegedly frequented by naturists), spectacular sink holes and wonderful beaches that I think are only accessible by boat. Nice and flat walk for the most part.We tried the walk from Centianes to the lighthouse once but it was hard work, view from above Centianes was spectacular though.
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

can I ask where you start the walk in Carvoeiro to Caneiros?
I'll let Alison give her view, but you can start the cliff walk at Mar d'Fora (37.0967838,-8.4758891) but the path is quite steep and difficult in places.....easiest is to start at the small car park at 37.0988333,-8.4806527,313...or a shorter walk from the carpark at 37.1007223,-8.4883667,62.

Good walking!
joeysoap
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by joeysoap »

Thanks Geoff, yes, we tried it from that restaurant but gave up after a relatively short distance as we thought the it was quite difficult and dangerous. Hopefully will give it a another try at Easter from one of the other starting points.

Cheers
Alison
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Alison »

Sorry for delay in replying - still jet lagged from recent return from our trip to Australia!

Geoff is the expert on all these walks and he's quite right - we do sometimes start from Mar D'Fora (used to be O Boteco) but the first bit going west from there does have a very steep downhill section where holding onto the nearby fence is often the best way of getting down it. That is the worst bit however so if you can stomach that then you can survive any of the rest of the ups and downs. We do usually start a bit further along, I suspect where Geoff's coordinates get you to - it is difficult to describe the spot exactly as it is basically round the back of Carvoeiro Club, at the end of a small cul-de-sac which we can walk to out of the back of QDP, past The Ritz (Escondindho restaurant - can never spell that right!). There are several steep descents and ascents en route to Caneiros and it is a bit mountain goat territory but if you stick to the motto of 'keeping as low as possible round headlands' then you can usually see where the tracks go and you won't end up too far inland to get across the gorge. It is of course always easier to see the tracks from the other side of the gorge after you've taken a wrong track trying to get across! Trial and error on your first exploration - there are some Blue stones marking the route but not as well as on the eastern side of cvo. You can see the small fort in the distance for most of this walk and can tell yourself that Caneiros is only 40 minutes beyond that! Or you can dip out and head inland again at various points along this walk - brings you out e.g. by the windmill just down from Carvoeiro tennis club.

We'll be out again in May and would happily 'guide' you along the route if you were there too but sounds as tho' you'll have gone home again then?
Andy & Wendy
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Andy & Wendy »

Thank you all again for these. We really enjoy coastal walks and the more 'mountain goaty' the better.

It looks like we've accidentally started the CVO walking club !!
Alison
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Alison »

It looks like we've accidentally started the CVO walking club !![/quote][/quote]

I'll see if I can beat Geoff to replying on that subject - I believe he started the CVO Ramblers section under the Events bit of this site and has been leading walks for several years now - over 100 and still counting?! A great way to see bits of the countryside that you wouldn't otherwise find, to meet new people and have a delicious, and cheap, social lunch in a local restaurant for under 10 euros a head. Russell and Linda now do these as well when Geoff isn't out in cvo.

Look forward to meeting you on one at some stage!
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

Thanks for the advert Alison.....CVO Ramblers are at :

viewforum.php?f=39

But , whereas anyone can lead a walk, there won't be many/any in July : too hot!
Andy & Wendy
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Andy & Wendy »

What temp should we be expecting in July ?
logicbob
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by logicbob »

Andy & Wendy wrote:What temp should we be expecting in July ?

Have a look at the main menu under INFO and click on weather.
sunman
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sunman »

Andy & Wendy wrote:What temp should we be expecting in July ?
(Very) hot 8)
TGM
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by TGM »

Last time I was out in July it hit 40 Deg C.
joeysoap
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by joeysoap »

Thanks Alison and Geoff for replys. Might give that another try using one of those start points as the start at Mat D'Fora is quite difficult. I forgot we also walked the cliff top at Monte Clerigo a few years ago. Quite spectacular and scenic but also very easy. We walked was far as the excavations at the Muslim graveyard at Arriifana before returning to Monte Clerigo. Different from the cliff top walks to Centianes, Benagil etc.
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

West coast is indeed impressive, but difficult to get too by public transport I expect....you'll have to try our walks joeysoap......btw, whilst we haven't been out in July for a number of years, I never felt the heat was that oppressive on the coast as there is often a sea breeze. Never been there in August, but I hear tales of having to stay inside with AC on from noon till 6pm!