Roundup for sale?

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
destroyer
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Roundup for sale?

Post by destroyer »

Came across this:

http://www.roundupsaloon.de/

I know there have been a lot of rumours over the years about Will packing it in, but this seems current as far as I can tell.

We were over in November and spoke to Will. He was busy tearing up and replacing the bar floor and we jokingly said it was nice to see him busy in the off season. He got quite serious and told us lots of people say to him they'd like his life, but in reality he got very little time to relax. Fair point. He's in his sixties and I guess it takes a lot of hard work to run such a busy place. He told us when the bar was sorted he was off around Europe and South America to visit family.

The Roundup divides opinion I know, but there's no denying both it and Will are Carvoeiro institutions. If someone does take it over they'll have a very big pair of shoes (or more accurately, clogs) to fill. We're back in March for a few days and hopefully will have a chance at least to say cheerio.
Allenshouse
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Re: Roundup for sale?

Post by Allenshouse »

This advert has been online for quite somtime and the copyright says 2013.

I think the asking price was around €1m.

My guess is that Big Will will be around again, once he returns from his annual trip to Brazil, at least we hope so!

Does anyone know when he usually opens for the new season? I recall it is around the same time as Bradys which is in time for St Paddys day
destroyer
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by destroyer »

Yes, the price is on the ad. I'd not seen it before and wondered if the copyright was in respect of the pictures. Anyway, time will tell.
SAM SPARKLE
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by SAM SPARKLE »

The Roundup has been up for sale for a few years now, its owned by Will and a German (whose name I forget) he is a silent partner in the business, the premises also includes Happys who currently pays a peppercorn rent to them, a condition of the sale is that this continues, Will has wanted to retire mainly because of health reasons (he has diabetes) hence his weight loss over the last couple of years. As far as I am concerned the Roundup is all about Big Will, he will be a hard act to follow. 8)
algarve123
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by algarve123 »

That ad has been posted online for a few years now. It would be a shame if it ever did change hands as Will and his team are what make the place so great. I can totally understand his point of view on it though, it must get exhausting dealing with same things every year and and expected to be so happy and outgoing (which he always is) along with it.

I heard rumours that they might be looking to change hands over at Carvoeiro Bar as well. Does anyone know if this is true? I heard the staff have changed around a bit in the past few months. Another place that would be a terrible shame if it changed, but as I said above I would think its hard work running these establishments so if they did I would certainly wish them well - excellent bar with great staff, love it.

One last one is that I believe MaJas has a sign up inside about selling up. It would be very very hard for anyone to be able to carry on the same style of food there as good as they do with it such friendly service in my opinion. Love the place and would hate to see them go.
njc0607
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by njc0607 »

been up for sale for years and years.. I remember him offering it me at least 5 years ago..

Cons :-
A) - it is a lot of hard work and long hours during the season
B) - the price - optimistic. (although he would accept lower, somewhere around €650k now I believe)
C) - a very hard act to follow

pro`s
it makes a good deal of money
it comes with an apartment
it "could" run itself with the right floor manager

as you rightly say, a bit of a Carvoeiro institution and long may it continue.
shanagarry
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by shanagarry »

Will did a deal back in 2010 with some Russians who, according to Will paid him a hefty deposit but they they never completed the deal. Will has been keen to find a buyer for many years (due to his health concerns) as he wanted (and maybe still does) to see it continue. The asking price at the time was €1.1M - of which a a large chunk was goodwill (at least 50%).

Anybody buying that business would need to have the same commitment and staying power as Will and that's a big ask. Recovering the goodwill investment without a character of Will's calibre will take some doing. He sits on the window sill every night during the season and has time for everybody - that's not easy. His presence alone made it a safe venue - on the odd occasion when 'trouble' threatened - he snuffed it out instantly.

It's all been said in the previous posts but if the sale comes to pass and Will moves on - it will significantly change the Cvo nightly entertainment landscape. I have enjoyed many happy nights at Wills - some I remember :lol: