Bike Hire

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
Helen03
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Bike Hire

Post by Helen03 »

Hi Everyone

We will be coming over in July and some friends who are joining us are wanting to hire push bikes (healthy outdoor types) !! Could anyone advise/recommend of a local company they can get in touch with to arrange prior to their arrival ?? Thanks in advance.
algarve123
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Re: Bike Hire

Post by algarve123 »

Hi Helen03,

We have used Motorent on the out road (near where it merges back to two-lanes with the in road) previously.

The man working there was nice to deal with and the bikes were in good condition. We just walked in and hired rather than booking beforehand but see below for the booking page on their website, enjoy:

http://www.motorent.pt/ingles/reserva.html
Helen03
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by Helen03 »

Thankyou for your advice ……. I will pass it on to my friends so they can get it organised.
algarve123
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by algarve123 »

You are welcome, enjoy your holiday.
tricky
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by tricky »

For the less fit. There are electric bike stands currently being installed in the square. The bikes should be available pretty soon
smudger
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by smudger »

tricky wrote:For the less fit. There are electric bike stands currently being installed in the square. The bikes should be available pretty soon
The bikes were installed into their racks yesterday. Not sure where you buy the card that will unlock the bike from the rack.
Jive
CVO Newbie
CVO Newbie

Post by Jive »

We are currently on countdown to our next holiday in Carvoeiro in June We'd like to hire bikes while we are here and wondered if anybody knows how you hire the bikes in the racks in the square? Thanks in advance of responses.
Raithstar
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Raithstar »

From what I gathered last week you put your bank card into machine choose your hire and pay , the machine then dispenses a card which you hold against the panel on the bike to unlock it from rack , you can then put the bike in any of the other racks in Lagoa or Ferragudo and lock it the same way . I asked the lady in the information shop in Carvoero square and this is what she told me . I put a post about this with photos in the Real Carvoeiro Forum on Facebook .
Alison
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Alison »

We had a look at these yesterday - the website has all the info too - www.bewegen.pt.

Need to try them out as I would want to get an idea of how long the bikes will last before needing charging up/swapping for another bike - the info implies 60mins - but that will depend on how many steep hills you go up and how much 'help' you use from the bike. I have bad memories of pushing one of these (very heavy) bikes up the hill from Caneiros to Seismarias a few years back after we had cycled over to Portimao on them - but they were not real e-bikes, more electric scooters and we clearly shouldn't have expected them to last that long!

Will report back when we've had a go!
Alison
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by Alison »

What a missed opportunity (and an enormous waste of money):

We tried to use the Bewegen Lagos e-bikes from the Carvoeiro beach kiosk today - complete failure. It all sounds very organised on the website, we downloaded the app no problem but when we came to enter the bike number in order to receive a code to unlock said bike, it kept telling us the number was not recognised, or "error on the system, please try again later". In theory you could also tap a credit card on the bike pad to activate the system but that didn't work either - we tried several of the bikes there to no avail.

Such a waste when you consider how much money has been spent setting all this up.

I had my suspicions as I haven't seen any reports of people using the system successfully - now we know why! The system doesn't work. You can't get through to the contact phone number and the staff at the nearby information centre didn't know anything about it either.

The Carvoeiro Motorent shop was very helpful but only had one e-bike available for hire.

So, we're experimenting with hiring e-bikes from Megasport in Loule instead - they will deliver and collect to your location. Let's hope that works.