Ryanair vs Easyjet

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Ryanair vs Easyjet

Post by Geoff »

We usually fly Easyjet as Ryanair flight times can be awkward , but just booked a 0700 flight out in Jan and a 1000 flight back in late Feb with Ryanair for half the price of almost identical flights with Easyjet : where's the catch?
Cabin bags can't weigh more than 10kgs and the size is a bit smaller ( 55 x 40 x 20 cf 56 x 45 x 25cm )......but anything else? think seats are plastic rather than fabric....
widge
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Re: Ryanair vs Easyjet

Post by widge »

Relax Geoff, we use Ryanair frequently and they nearly always undercut Easyjet.

OK they tend to herd you around at boarding and arrival and the inflight service is more expensive but........£32 return in December is persuasive ! Cost me that much for the taxi to Bristol airport !

Oh & importantly, they are extraordinarily punctual.
sunman
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sunman »

we flew back on BA last week, 5pm flight time, landed Gartwick 7.45; they brought round drinks & crisps but nothing else; I asked them where the meal was and the answer was some waffle about them starting to sell M&S sandwiches in January;
I mentioned that on the lunchtime flight out we'd been given a sandwich based meal & he said that meals depended on flight times; I agreed with his theory but countered that most folk would expect to eat something between 5 and 8 in the evening so where was our food? no answer.
very unimpressed.
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

We used to fly easy jet when they flew out of East Midlands airport but when they left we used Ryanair & have used them ever since as we find their prices the lowest by a long way. People complain about excess baggage charges etc but my take on that is that if you stick to the rules you wont incur any extra charges. Last week you could have had return flights in December for £9.99p each way so for £19.98p you could have had a week in Carvoeiro! It costs me more than that to catch a taxi home after a night out which is only a 10 mile trip!
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

we flew back on BA last week, 5pm flight time, landed Gartwick 7.45; they brought round drinks & crisps but nothing else; I asked them where the meal was and the answer was some waffle about them starting to sell M&S sandwiches in January;
I heard that from friends who came back with BA last weekend...to add insult to injury, BA explained " they were stopping doing free inflight food, and were going to charge in future, due to customer request following market research"....believe that, believe anything! Cost cutting, pure & simple, why not admit it?

BA joining Easyjet & Ryanair.
Bruce Wallis
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by Bruce Wallis »

There is a lot of negativity about Ryanair, but the bottom line is that if you want a punctual cheap flight that gives no more than it says on the tin, Ryanair wins hands down.
We treat it like a 2 and a quarter hour commute. We're not interested in 'bells and whistles', the so called 'prestige' of flying BA or TAP, or paying £30 more for a 'free' coffee and a dry sandwich.
We fly Ryanair several times a year...no probs!
sunman
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by sunman »

Bruce Wallis wrote:There is a lot of negativity about Ryanair, but the bottom line is that if you want a punctual cheap flight that gives no more than it says on the tin, Ryanair wins hands down.
We treat it like a 2 and a quarter hour commute. We're not interested in 'bells and whistles', the so called 'prestige' of flying BA or TAP, or paying £30 more for a 'free' coffee and a dry sandwich.
We fly Ryanair several times a year...no probs!
I don't think BA would claim to have any prestige any more (on short haul), and they certainly don't offer bells & whistles, but they do have good flight times going for them; even though it offers a full day on arrival I struggle to get up at 3.30am for a 6.30 flight, Uk to Faro shouldn't come with jet-lag :shock: :)
madaboutangling
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Post by madaboutangling »

Another factor worth looking at is when you can check in online. We used to use Monarch a lot but it really irritated me this time that you could not do this for free until 24 hours before you fly unless you paid for it. So I had to hunt around for somewhere to print off a boarding pass in my resort and then failed as it was within 7 hours of the flight! I was only away for 5 days so expected to check in from home. I think that both Easyjet and Ryanair are better than this but worth checking both out.
joeysoap
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by joeysoap »

Flew out from Dublin with RY yesterday. Departed half an hour late but still arrived on time. :wink: cheap as chips though €14.99. You can on only print out boarding passes now 4 days in advance, unless you prebook a seat. They have lots of 'encouraging' offers at the booking stage to tempt you to book a seat and get priority boarding for as 'little' as €6 , if you book a seat from around row 18 onwards. Even though there was a fair few empty seats the overhead bins were full. I was sitting in an aisle seat and one of the cabin crew tried to explain to a few, 2 actually, that the bins were full and to give the bags to the cabin crew at the rear. One immediately went into a rant about how he wasn't treated like that on other flights and how he was used to flying 'better than this' . Amused me anyway. Fwiw there was about 4 rows of empty seats at the rear of the cabin, I would guess rows 27-31 and the cabin crew were using these to stow the excess bags. I only checked in a few hours before the flight so I assume the entire rows were left empty for balancing purposes (i was in row 25 and there was no empty seats at all in front of me ( very tempted to go back and claim a whole 3 seats but suspect I would have been run out if it.

* the 4 days start at midnight not at flight time, and of course you can use the app to book anytime up to a couple of hours before flight. Strong sterling wiped EJ off my list for booking a few years ago, unlikely to go back TBH.
alf1956
CVO Master
CVO Master

Post by alf1956 »

We use the app on our smart phone which makes life so much easier & saves having to worry about printing boarding passes
PhilT
CVO Regular
CVO Regular

Post by PhilT »

We find the overall cost has to include travel/ parking as well as flight. So from the west country RY BOH is cheapest until staying over perhaps a week, then the competitive benefits of multiple carriers kick in and LGW operators win after including a couple of senior returns by train (cheaper than parking). Always found RY spot on time, new and comfortable aircraft and as has been said, play by the rules. At LGW I've found the (new ownership) Monarch preferable to EZ and similar in price..
Flew back today (dreadful weekend weather) and BA2693 was definitely offering snacks and drinks of all kinds.
Hope this helps..
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

Well, Ryanair was fine , albeit with plastic seats and nowhere to stow a paper/book in front of you, but a small price to pay for about 50% Easyjet : problem is, their summer schedule from Bristol is often at awkward times!
Flew Monarch back to LGW at the weekend...nice and comfy, cheaper than Easyjet again and better times.