Monchique fires

Please use this forum for general discussions or questions related to Carvoeiro life ONLY
piggywidden93
CVO Senior
CVO Senior

Re: Monchique fires

Post by piggywidden93 »

We have just come back from a holiday in this area and its certainly nothing to take so lightly. Have just send a donation to help the firefighters, if you want to do the same you can use Paypal to send it to bombeirosalgarve@gmail.com . It is perfectly legitimate and is run by a friend of the lady we rented our villa from. It provides food, water and medical supplies to the firemen, there are also drop off points around the area where you can donate water etc. Apparently it been so successful the supermarkets have run out of the 500ml bottles of water (the size the firemen need)
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

Alison wrote:Just to be clear - it was Pato's post that seemed to be making light of the sad situation.
Sorry the joke was meant to be aimed at Roy, sort of an in-joke kind of thing, Plus! a thank you to my mate Pete- Flint for throwing me to the lions. :lol:
SJ & RE
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by SJ & RE »

Trust the fires have eventually died down.
Hope the villages are all ok and there is not to much loss of homes, pets and animals, - not in that order obviously.
pete-flint
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by pete-flint »

pato wrote:
Alison wrote:Just to be clear - it was Pato's post that seemed to be making light of the sad situation.
Sorry the joke was meant to be aimed at Roy, sort of an in-joke kind of thing, Plus! a thank you to my mate Pete- Flint for throwing me to the lions. :lol:
Moi ! ! I suppose that's going to cost me a pint Saturday night. : )
Geoff
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by Geoff »

They have arrested a bloke and charged him with arson, I should imagine he will get a warm reception in court !
Must say, I do find that inappropriate.

Anyway, my question is whether the authorities ever do controlled burns? I can't say that I have ever seen any, having come to the Algarve for some years now : I get the impression that the undergrowth just builds up until something/someone sets it alight with terrifying consequences.

We are currently in South Africa and witnessed a controlled burn of a mountainside today, quite spectacular ( if that's the right word) but something they apparently do in this area every couple of years...as in many other parts of the world.

Is it done in the Algarve?
maccasa
CVO Legend
CVO Legend

Post by maccasa »

Someone posted they caught the guy who started it - any more news? have they locked him up?
pato
CVO Oracle
CVO Oracle

Post by pato »

pete-flint wrote:Thank you Alison, cleared that little mess up nicely. :)
Oh! yea, thanks Pete for throwing me to the lions. :P